War Memories- Part 1

Plot: This would take place in the episode titled "Je Suis Prest" from Season two. This is the episode where Claire has a panic attack from hearing the men shoot off their rifles, then proceeded to have violent WWII flashbacks. Well, in this prompt, Annabella takes her place, since she was there in the jeep with them at the same time. This time, Murtagh comes to her rescue. Claire and Bella are struggling with their dark memories together, but she may not be enough comfort for Bella alone.    

~These are all basically Murtagh oneshots/shorts stories but oh well. There will be other ones eventually. They are all kind of connected, especially if you read them in the right order the Outlander storyline goes, I'm just too lazy to sort them right now and wrote them all terribly out of order.~

Description: flaming red hair, short and generally tiny in size, bright hazel eyes, has a healing touch like Claire and they served in WWII together, Usually very feisty but only shows her soft side to people she truly cares about.

DISCLAIMER: I OWN NONE OF THESE CHARACTERS EXCEPT FOR ANNABELLA ABERNATHY. ALL RIGHTS GO TO THE OUTLANDER PRODUCERS AND STARZ!!!

Anyway,....on to it then!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unwanted Storms

   "James Fraser taught me these drills himself. Believe me,...I am going to teach them to you. And you are going to learn  them." Bella watched as Murtagh paraded around the forming army, barking orders at them.

"Now,...form lines- two." He went into instructions, telling them when they heard a certain tune, they were to take the correct stance.
"Two lines! One directly next to the other!" He showed them where to start. "Get in lines! Kincaid! MOVE. YER. ARSE." Murtagh kicked the man into place, literally.                                             

Kincaid then arrogantly threw his make-shift weapon made of a branch to the ground at Murtagh's feet.
"And when do we get proper weapons?" he asked, attitude clear in his voice.

Bella's eyes went wide as she watched from afar. She knew that Murtagh wasn't fond of disobedience at all, and this poor man was about to find out as well. She saw Murtagh's body turn rigid and his face twist to show annoyance. 

"First, you'll learn where to stand. Then, you'll learn how to move. And if ye' can manage the particulars of tha,' I'll put a sword in yer' hand and teach ye' how to kill the redcoats. But until then,..." he shoved the branch into the poor lad's hands.
"FORM UP!!!"

Bella couldn't help but to laugh. She covered her mouth when Murtagh turned towards the next man.

"What are you laughin at, bastard?! Face left! Yer' own left! What is the matter with ye's? Have ye' all got shite in yer' ears?"

Bella turned away, her eyes scanning the large field in front of her. She spotted Claire staring in Murtagh's direction. She had just watched the same thing, though was reacting in a different way entirely. Claire quickly turned away, storming off in the opposite direction. Bella knew what was happening. Picking up her skirts, Bella went to chase after her. Though it was in vain. Bella hated Claire's speed, for she could never keep up with her.

"Claire,...wait!" She stopped in the center of the field.
Spinning around in a frenzy, confusion clouded her mind. Claire was already out of her sight. Bella's hands dropped to her side in defeat as she slowly walked back. She looked around the field once more, seeing all too familiar images,...images of war. World War 2 had taken a cruel toll oh Claire and herself. Claire had buried her war memories deep, but Bella buried hers even deeper. It was already affecting Claire, witnessing the preparations here. She knew too, that it would only be a matter of time before she succumbed to the same darkness that now plagued Claire's mind. The pending war to come was unearthing unwanted storms in the both of them. 

   From afar, as he slapped the backs of heads and made threats to the band of misfit men, Murtagh studied Bella's figure as she walked back to where she was standing. The sunlight hitting her hair truly made it look as if it were made of flames, he observed. he watched as she still searched the field. Even with the distance between them, Murtagh could see that his Róisín was tense. He grew concerned, knowing that the lass rarely showed discomfort. Sure, she was a spitfire with a mean tongue, but this was different. He couldn't put his finger on it. Murtagh shook his head, turning his attention back to the task at hand. 

"Halt. I said halt, dammit! For Christ's sake, listen, ye' sorry bastards!"

With one last glance at Bella, Murtagh decided to talk to her, ....as soon as he got the chance.