The Announcement

What?! Did he just say what I think he did? Thought Harry

"Yes you heard me right. This year everyone but first years will retake the sorting, as the ministry do not agree with the hat's past methods. This year it will not take your opinion into account." Finished Professor Dumbledore.
Harry knew he was screwed. The Hat only put him into Gryffindor because that's what he had wanted.
That means.... I will have to join Slytherin. Harry shuddered.

"This cant be happening!" Hermione hissed to Ron and Harry, "We are going to be split up. I'm definitely going to Ravenclaw."

"And I'm going to Syltherin." Harry said finally voicing his fears.

"Surely not! You are as brave as brave comes!" Ron sad indulgently.

"I-in first year the Hat told me that I would do great things in Slytherin and then when I asked it in second it said it still thinks I would have done great things in Slytherin!" Harry huffed, getting more and more agitated as time wore on. Hermione and Ron both looked scared.

"It's alright, no matter what happens we will stick together. Right?" Hermione said confidentially.

"Right"

"Right"

They all stood up as the fifth years were called to the front.

"GRANGER, HERMIONE"

Hermione nervously walked up and sat on the stool. After a few minutes the hat had made its choice.

"RAVENCLAW"

Ron and Harry looked at each other. They knew they would be separated. A few more people from his year had been sorted, no Gryffindors had been put into Slytherin.
There's always a first and that first will be YOU. Harry thought sadly. Malfoy and Blaise has both been sorted back into Slytherin. Shocker. Thought Harry.

"POTTER, HARRY"

Whispers erupted in the Great Hall, everyone wondering where Harry would be put. Harry staggered forwards towards the hat and pulled it onto his head .
"Ah yes Harry Potter a former Gryffindor but alas my opinion matters more this time and I really think you will be great in SLYTHERIN!!" The Hat yelled the last part. Harry stumbled over to the Slytherin table, hesitantly sitting down beside Blaise and across form Draco. He looked on the verge of tears. Noticing this Blaise tried to reassure him.
"Hey Harry it's alright Slytherin isn't all bad."
Harry scoffed, raising an eyebrow.
"You don't seem very shocked Potter." Malfoy pointed out.
"Yeah well the Hat said I would be great in Slytherin in first year but I begged to put in Gryffindor so it obliged I guess." Harry said glumly. Then his face fell once more.
Ron had been put in Gryffindor.

The Golden Trio had been split up.