Chapter 38 ~ Can we not fight anymore?

Start from the beginning

Dad recovers and makes his way to me. "I'll deal with you later." He says to me and then goes over to Rumlow who's on his knees and removes his helmet.

Even though I'm a distance away from the two I can still see Rumlow's scarred face from the side. Dad grips up Rumlow.

"I think I look pretty good, all things considered." I hear Rumlow joke.

"Who's your buyer?" Dad demands.

"You know, he knew you. Your pal, your buddy, your Bucky." Rumlow says, dodging the question.

What's he planning?

"What did you say?" Dad says.

"He remembered you. I was there and so was Little Rogers." Rumlow says and jerks his head in my direction. "He got all weepy about it. 'Till they put his brain back in a blender. He wanted you to know something. He said to me, 'Please tell Rogers. When you gotta go, you gotta go.' And you're coming with me." I see Rumlow about to press the trigger for what I'm assuming is a bomb in his vest.

I knew something was up, Bucky never said that. I run as fast as my legs can, to get that trigger away from him. As soon as I'm about to take it, he presses the button. Dad and I flinch back, ready to be obliterated, but Wanda shows up behind us and keeps the blast contained with her powers as Rumlow grimaces in agony. She lifts him up in the air near an office building. Time slows down around me as I see Wanda lose control and some of the explosion hits the building. I run inside the building to where the explosion is about to occur. I grab the people nearest the explosion and run them out of the building one by one since that is all I can carry and some of these people are heavy. I come back inside to see there are still a lot of people to save and little time. I look at the explosion that's about to erupt on the building once more to see it got bigger meaning I'm slowing down. I'm already out of breath, but there are people counting on me. I save a few more people before I collapse on the ground outside, time is still slowed down. I struggle to get up and make my way over to Dad who is looking up at the explosion waiting to occur. I know he won't be able to hear me, but I still speak to him.

"What am I supposed to do?" I say to him. "I won't be able to save everybody and I'm slowing down."

I already knew I wasn't gonna get a response. I sigh and run my fingers through my hair trying to think. This is giving me too much stress and usually when I'm this stress I cry, but there's also no time for that either. I mean I could still try to get the people out or put them in a safer part of the building. I just have to try.

Determined to finish the mission, I go back in once again. I stumble all over the place, trying to keep consciousness. I buckle to one knee but manage to get back up, determined to save these people no matter what. I save the people that I know will be affected by the explosion if I don't get them out. I come back in for another round, but that's when I give in and time resumes back to normal and the explosion takes place. It hits me, causing me to fly back and hit a wall, hard, because of the impact and since I was really close to it.

Somehow I'm still alive. There's a horrible ringing in my ears and my vision is very blurry. I try to get up, but all my muscles ache and resist my command to move. I'm wondering why I just didn't die from the explosion. Things happen for a reason, I guess, so there must be a reason for me to still be alive but I just want the agony to end. The ringing in my ears still didn't subside yet but I can hear a bit and right now I hear Dad's distant voice calling out for me in panic.

"(Y/n)!" Dad calls my name once again.

I try to respond, but all that comes out is a horrible cough that makes pain shoot through my whole body. I wince in pain and shut my eyes tightly.