Girls Try Outs (1)

(Sally's Perspective)

     I step forward into the gymnasium. The polished floor squeaked as I walked across it, echoing throughout the empty gym. I've never seen the gym look so clean. It was shining, the gym lights reflected off the floor. The gym had a low ceiling and a wooden panel flooring with white linings. It was a spacious and well lighted area. The badminton nets had already been set up for us. 

     I glanced over to my shoulder and notice Mr. McNaughton, the badminton coach. Mr. McNaughton was a middle aged man in his late 40's or early 50's. He had warm brown hair with streaks of grey and had a fairly muscular build. He had cloudy blue eyes tinted with a hue of grey. He was usually seen wearing a casual attire, with a turquoise short sleeved shirt and beige knee length shorts. Not only was Mr. McNaughton the coach of the badminton team this year, but he was also my home room teacher. If I had to describe him in just a few words, I'd say he was that cool uncle I never had. Or an older Chris Pratt with two kids and probably had a secret handshake with every student he had taught. Mr. McNaughton had a special bond with his students unlike many other teachers. He tried to get to know us better, and understood many of our struggles. He had our respect as students.

     "Welcome back to badminton tryouts for the girls who were on the team last year," Mr. McNaughton greeted. He spotted a few familiar faces from the rest. Most of the girls were grade 8's, and a few brave grade 7's willing to try out.

     "And welcome to the girls who are just starting off today," Mr. McNaughton grinned with a warm smile. He looked at the new faces.

     "Grab a racket and then I'll tell you guys what we're going to be doing today," Mr. McNaughton instructed.

     I run towards the blue bin storing the rackets along with the other girls trying out. We were all jumbled up together. I searched for my favourite racket, it was neon green coloured, with a nice white grip. It was light and easy to move around with. As I saw another girl reaching for it, I quickly grabbed it.

     "Hey! I called dibs on that," a girl with above shoulder length brown hair grumbled. She had chestnut brown hair and her name was Madison, known as Maddy. She had bright blue eyes and was wearing a lot of makeup. Along with the makeup, she was wearing inappropriate sports attire. She had ripped skinny jeans the colour of the sky and a white tank top with thin straps. 

      I rolled my eyes, "And?" I raised an eyebrow. Her skin flushed a bright pink.

     "Leave her alone Maddy, she isn't that good anyway," Lexi advised her. She had long brown hair which had streaks of light brown that stopped just at her waist. Lexi had hazel eyes with a hue of brown and had a slightly chubby build. She was the tallest girl in our grade, and was often known to spread rumours.

      "She's just jealous," Lexi snickered. 

      I turned my head to face them, "Jealous of what? Your split ends?" 

      "Ooh!" Yuwen high-fived me on the spot, "Smooth!"

      Yuwen had shiny wavy long flowing black hair that faded into a dark brown ombre. The shade was so dark with bright shines creating a great contrast. On this particular morning, she fixed her into two thin french braids and had deep brown eyes that looked like pools of honey when standing in the sun. She had a slender and feminine physique and was no more then 5'2. She was usually seen with a gentle and calm expression on her face, today wasn't any different. She was wearing a baby blue hoodie with black adidas leggings with white stripes. 

      The two girls murmured a few words under their breath and quickly walked off to the opposite side of the gymnasium. Yuwen and I ignored them. 

      "Trying out I see?" Last year I had made the team, unfortunately Yuwen didn't, but did end up getting the role as a substitute and still managed to get a bronze medal. Ever since we started playing, we had become competitive against one another.

      "I'm gonna beat you this year," Yuwen playfully teased. 

      "We'll see about that," I challenged her. 

      Our conversation was interrupted by a high pitched whistle. Mr. McNaughton had got our attention, all the racket had stopped. (See what I did there.)

     "Does everyone have their racket?" Mr. McNaughton asked.

     I tightened the grip on my racket and nodded.

     "Alright, first you'll have a practice game against your partner, score will go up to 7. 12 of you on the court, the rest sitting down, we'll be rotating, let's get going," Mr. McNaughton ordered. 

     I searched the room for a partner, and caught a glimpse of Emily. She had short dark brown hair, and short bangs parted to the side. She was already on the opposite court. We hadn't spoken much over the course of this year, why not? She was one of my closest friends who I could rely on with anything. It would be nice to start talking to her again. She noticed me staring at her and waved to me, smiling.

    "Partners?" I mouthed. She nodded back to me.

     All the courts are taken, except one. Emily looks at me. We rush to the very last court along with two other girls. 

     "We got it!" Emily happily announced.

     The two other girls groan in defeat. Exhausted, they turn around and slowly head towards the bleachers.

     Emily grabs the birdie lying on the wooden floor and swings her arm, slamming her racket against the birdie, pummelling it to the ground. The birdie swirls around in circles for a while and continues to whirl around slowly. It lands on me. 

     I swipe the birdie off the floor with my racket, a little trick Mr. McNaughton had taught us last year. I position myself just at the service line and hang the birdie waist length diagonal from me. I softly tap the birdie which just tips over the net and a few inches from the white line.

     Emily retrieves the serve, hitting it upwards, fatal mistake. It was a great opportunity for a smash. 

     One problem, I don't know how to smash.