Empathy

You pull your jacket close around you as the wind picks up a little. You are on your way to flower shop again after telling your mom that you'd be doing homework at the library.
   "Again?" Was her surprised response, "What triggered this sudden burst of motivation?"
   "Dunno," you had replied, "Just...excited to work, I guess."
   You think of the inevitability of the day when she finds out who you're working for. Then your mind drifts to earlier today when you had told Cayna about your work with Asgore. She had almost laughed when she heard you worked for a monster.
   "What?" She had said, "Did Duke shove you too hard? Monsters have only been rumered to be around. And, like, they're probably not even intelligent beings."
   You grin to yourself at this memory. She may not fully believe you, but at least you know it's true.
   You turn onto Church Street as you almost run into someone about your height.
   "Dammit!" You exlaim frustratedly. The fellow you almost collided with steps back and apologizes saying, "Hey, calm down dude. It was just an accident."
   "No," you disagree as you explain, "It was my fault. I seem to have a habit of crashing into people on this sidewalk." The stranger eyes you, confused.
   "No!" You correct yourself quickly, "Not like that, it's just...ya know what? Have a nice day."
   You walk past the stranger, trying not to make eye contact as you continue pointedly toward your destination. You feel your face getting hot and feel like punching yourself for making the encounter so awkward. You don't dare looking back, so you keep heading towards the flower shop. Once at the door, you enter and let out an audible sigh.
   "God, I just had THE MOST awkward thing happen to--"
   You are cut short by the sound of quiet sobs in the back room. Crying? Is it Asgore? You walk quietly over to the curtain separating the shop from the back and lean close to hear better. The crying is quite clear; deep, mournful, sobs accompanied by the occasional snuffly nose. You wonder if you should open the curtain. Should you leave Asgore alone for a while? Would he mind your company?
   After pondering these ideas, you make a decision. Carefully, you go back to the shop door and open and close it again. The high jingle of the bell sounds and the sobs cease abruptly. After a little time, a large, fuzzy, white hand reaches out from the curtain and pulls it aside.
   Asgore steps out and upon seeing you, he pauses for a moment.
   "Oh," Asgore stammers, "(Y/N), I apologize. I'm not in much of a presentable state at the moment."
   "Can I ask what's wrong?" You inquire as passively as you can. Asgore sags into a chair next to the counter. He lets out a shaky sigh and says, "I was just...thinking."
   You nod in understanding and think of your own situation. Being a child was tough, what with your parents being divorced and all. But being the one losing the love of your life? You don't want to imagine what it would be like to go through that. Now, apparently, Asgore has been separated from his wife, Toriel. You assume that is the reason for his sadness.
   You move to stand beside the big monster and put your hand on his large, broad shoulder.
   "I don't wanna assume anything," you say in a soft tone, "but I get it. I really do."
   Asgore breaks into uncontrollable tears again, his face buried in his hands. You don't know what else to do as you stand with your hand on his shoulder. It feels almost intrusive to know what he's going through, though all too familiar at the same time.
   Asgore quakes with each sob. You start to feel emotions well up within you, and before you can stop yourself, you have your arms around the big monsters shoulders. You're a little surprised at your own involentary action, but feeling the big, strong, noble monster in a hug as big as you can manage, it makes you feel almost relaxed despite his weeping.
   "Don't worry," you say comfortingly in almost a whisper, "It's all gonna be okay...I promise."