Act One Scene One: Monet's Bitch-o-meter

"Hey coach, I've got to help Cheryl with the tryouts, can you cope without me?"

"It's not ideal but yeah go ahead."

"I'll come back after though, you know to assess the candidates."

"Get out of here before I break my foot up in your ass." He tutted at her.

"Sorry, dad. I'll make it up to you tonight?"

"How?" He put his hand on his waist sassily.

"I'll make dinner."

"You can cook..." He pondered in thought.

"I know."

"Get out of here." She ran towards the hall where most of the phase one auditions had finished. Some passed some failed and had left. She walked in to see Betty and Veronica starting theirs.

She strolled in silently as she tried to not interrupt. But from what she could see, their choreography had white girl written all over it- bland.

"We're blue! And go! We're dynamite! We'll take you down, and fight the fight! Whoo! Go, Bulldogs!" They cheered thinking they had done the best.

"Ladies, where's the heat? Where's the sizzle? Where is your flavour bitches? If you call that cheerleading well... I'm appalled that you sat at the top of the Elite's pyramid." Lani complained as she walked in with more purpose.

"Well, you haven't seen our big finish yet." Veronica leaned in to kiss Betty which shocked everyone but Cheryl and Leilani weren't exactly sold by it.

"Check your sell-by date, ladies, faux lesbian kissing hasn't been taboo since 1994. So let's see if you do better with the interview portion of our audition."

"Betty, how's your sister doing?" Cheryl asked Betty, her eyes practically staring deep into her soul.

"Um, Polly's fine, thanks for asking." But Cheryl didn't care much for her reply.

"Veronica, has Betty told you about her sister yet?"

"Uh, no."

"Go ahead, Betty. Tell Veronica about your sister and my dear brother."

"Polly and Jason dated." Cheryl scoffs with a roll of the eyes.

"I wouldn't say 'dated'. It didn't end well. In fact, Jason's probably why your sister had a nervous breakdown and now lives in a group home, isn't it?" Leilani thought Cheryl was being slightly mean by exposing her family life to everyone in the sports hall.

"That's what my parents think."

"What do you have to say about that, Betty? Go ahead, the floor is yours. Whatever you've been dying to spew about Jason and how he treated Polly, unleash it. Destroy me. Tear me a new one. Rip me to shreds. Annihilate me." Cheryl pushed her to the end.

"I just..." Lani thought that she was finally going to snap.

"Finally." Cheryl rolled her eyes as she adjusts the board on her lap.

"I just wanted to say I'm sorry about what happened to Jason. I can't even imagine what you and your family must be going through."

"Right." She said with a roll of the eyes, trying to prevent her tears.

"Veronica, welcome to the River Vixens. Betty, better luck next time." Lani was shocked that Veronica even made the team with her choreo.

"Wait, what? Why? Because you couldn't bully Betty into being a bitch?"

"I need girls with fire on my squad." Cheryl shrugged.

"I know what you need, Cheryl because I know who you are. You would rather people fear than like you, so you traffic in terror and intimidation. You're rich, so you've never been held accountable, but I'm living proof." Veronica stepped forward slightly Lani was almost ready to intercept as she in case somebodies hair needed dragging. "That certainty, that entitlement you wear on your head like a crown? It won't last. Eventually, there will be a reckoning. Or... Maybe that reckoning is now. And maybe, that reckoning... Is me. Betty and I come as a matching set. You want one, you take us both. You wanted fire? Sorry, Cherrybombshell, my speciality's ice." Cheryl inhaled sharply.

Leilani clapped her hand loudly drawing the attention of Veronica and Cheryl to her. She snatched a clipboard from Ginger's lap. "As far as I can see you guys that are here have the fire- or in a rich bitch's case ice, to make me tremble in my vans." Veronica rolled her eyes at the small dig. "Now you're here on my time. Just because you made it past Cheryl doesn't mean you're on the squad." She walked around, making sure to create suspense. "In a line!" She exclaimed as she stopped. The girls moved around into a line.

Cheryl watched as what Veronica said started to hit her. She excused herself from the room.

"Now run." The girls looked confused, so they glanced at each other. "Bitch, I said run!"

The girls began to run around and Lani's phone went off. She grabbed it and looked at the message.

𝘽𝙄𝙂 𝘿𝙄𝘾𝙆 𝙈𝘼𝙉𝙏𝙇𝙀

𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘭𝘰𝘰𝘬 𝘩𝘰𝘵 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘣𝘦𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘢 𝘣𝘪𝘵𝘤𝘩

She rolled her eyes as she smiled looking around. She could see him watching from the corner with some of the team. It was almost as if they were waiting.

She jogged over. "What are you guys waiting for?" She asked as her eyes darted amongst them.

"The hall," Moose said.

"Your dad kicked us out."

"Didn't your practice end like a half-hour ago?" She asked.

"Yeah, we're going for Pop's and then Moose needs a new shirt for the Semi-formal."

"That doesn't explain why you're waiting."

"Oh yeah we're waiting for Midge and any other ladies who are available." Reggie wiggled his brows.

"Ew, go away." She said. "But yeah I'll go but not for long I need to get home and cook for my dad."

"It's a date." Reggie winked.

"There's like seven of us."

"It's an orgy." He laughed as she walked away.

Leilani blew her whistle as she got the squad to stop. The boys sat on the bleachers in waiting. Some of them were out of breath so they sat down. A girl passed out. "Someone get her up and tell her she is not on the team and get up! No-one called a break." She said rolled her eyes. Some of the boys dragged her away trying to wake her up.

"Now, I need the girls to be co-ordinated. I need you guys to be able to learn a choreography within minutes."

"Now do as I do." They followed her moves some perfectly, some not so perfectly.

By the end, Lani had rooted a group of 50 into a small herd of 15.

"You lucky girls. Find yourself a uniform that fits and show that you are now an official River Vixen."