Madeline of Colus

Start from the beginning

Stepping in and out of the warm light into the cool shadow of trees, the first heat beacon comes into view. I was still a while away from it, and an even farther distance from my home but it was a good first landmark.

I approach the beacon and put my hand on it stopping to rest for a moment. Despite its purpose, the metal itself is cool. This reminds me of another story my mother told me when I was younger. She told me that the Goddess herself taught us how to make and use metal. She told me the Goddess herself taught us much more. She taught us magic, She taught us about our continent, and She taught us about Herself. She is the reason why Magalia has lasted this long.

Feeling the heat from the beacon, I shed my outer coat tying it around my waist. I return to walking back towards my home.

My village is the farthest village to the east of the Coduid Alliance. We live within the territory of Marquis Honax, whose family is known for their honor and practice of peace. Along the borders of their territory is a border much like the one that protects Magalia. The difference is that there are areas within the border people can come in and out of. Such a place does not exist within the outside border.

I continue walking down the trail and am warmed by both the heat beacons and the sun. The trees clear on my right and make way for a lake, Lake Colus. The lake shares a name with my village, Colus.

It has not been cold enough yet for the lake to freeze over in the center, where there are no heat beacons. I take a moment to peer into the water, seeing my reflection. My blue eyes told me I was of the Coduid Alliance. My red hair told me of something else.

I was bullied by other children when I was younger for my red hair. No one else within the village has it meaning I got it from somewhere else. I remember coming home once crying because of how bad the other's words were. My ma comforted me, telling me that red hair showed the Goddess had chosen that person. She said that Augustus and all of his descendants had red hair. She told me my red hair was nothing to be ashamed of. I don't know if she was just trying to comfort me. All I know is that it worked.

I move on with the sun blazing down on my non-covered side. On my right side, I see the leaves falling off the trees. Its beauty is highly captivating, and I can not help but stare. And while I'm not paying attention I smack right into a tree. I rub my head because of how much that hurt. And then I realize that wasn't a tree. That was a post, specifically the post with a sign above it that welcomes people into Colus. At least I'm home.

In Colus there are three major sections: the docks/lake area, the marketplace/town square, and the residential area. The docks are home to our fishermen, the most common profession within our region. When you first enter the village, take a left and follow the path along the lake and you'll find the docks eventually. The marketplace is in our town square. Take the straight path and you'll find it eventually. The town square offers many activities. There's the amphitheater where the adults hold their town council meetings, the actual marketplace where fishermen, gatherers, and hunters barter their goods, and a pathway to the apothecary where I work. If you want to go to the residential section you take a right. You'll find it eventually. People live there. Well, people except for me.

I live with my ma and pa on a separate trail from the marketplace. We've lived there for a revolution now and I enjoy it. It's quiet, peaceful. Most people don't disturb us.

I head toward the marketplace. Although I would love to go home, unfortunately, I have a job to do and Mistress Adicus would not like me to be late to it. Along my way to her hut, I hear someone shout to me, "Madi!" Turning around, the stench of fish cues me in on who the man is before my eyes even see him.

"Good light, Master Fische," I say to him giving him the bow of respect.

"Good light, Apprentice Madeline," he says back to me. "I would not recommend heading into town square at the current moment."

"Why?" I ask him.

"Because there is an outsider here at the current moment," Master Fische answers. "The adults are currently holding a meeting of hospitality, including Mistress Adicus. I assume you are free for this light."

"Thank you, Master Fische," I say. "But there is a slight issue with that: the only way to my home is through the town square, remember?"

"Just teleport there, Madi," he says exasperated. "We all know you're good enough at light magic to do that. Why you don't just teleport everywhere, I don't understand."

"I don't understand why you choose not to go to town council meetings," I say. "And you do know why I barely use magic anymore. Besides, I also don't have my staff on me, and I don't want to exert that much energy."

"Oh, I don't go to those stupid meetings because all of the debates are filled with two people arguing and the rest of us unable to get a word in!" He starts to laugh. "And I'm afraid that you might not have a choice."

"I suppose you're correct on that front, Master Fische," I say feeling woozy just thinking of teleporting that far without a staff. "I guess I must get going then, Good light." I walk just to the edge of town and ground myself before closing my eyes.

Teleporting is a strange sensation. It's like being squeezed through a tube. You can barely breathe, and you can't move. This is what it looks like with a staff. Without a staff, it's even worse. Not only can you not breathe, the breath is taken out of your lungs. You can't breathe for what feels like hours after though its probably only minutes. Doing magic without a bounded weapon is like torturing yourself on purpose. Yet, I force myself through the pain and when I reopen my eyes, I'm at my house. 

My house is home to three main areas: a common room where my family eats, prays, and does activities together, my parent's bedroom, and my loft. I love my loft because, during the dark, you can see the stars. I've always loved watching the stars, especially now that I have my place to do it.

I can barely walk to my ladder because of how tired was. My muscles were already aching after the basic neutral magic. But I've been used to that for a while. But now it feels like the whole world is pushing down on my shoulders as I attempt to climb up this ladder. My vision is blurry as I get to the top of the ladder, and I barely make it to my bed before I pass out.

"Thank you for your hospitality, sir," a man's voice I did not recognize says. I am groggy as I push myself out of bed.

"Pa?" I say rubbing my eyes. I yawn and walk to the edge of my loft. "You should've woken me up the second you got home."

"Ah, Madi," Pa says warmly. "I just returned from today's meeting."

I nod and ask, "Who's the man?"

"This is Sir Killian, a mage of the Marquis," Pa responds. "He will be staying with us for a while."

"You mean to tell me the adults of the village chose to allow a capital freak in again?" I ask with rage. "Do you people not remember what happened the last time? It was only one revolution ago."

"Madi I know you're upset, but-"

"And why did they, did YOU choose to let him come here? Of all places!"

"If I may interject," Killian says his stupid accent becoming extremely clear.

"Nobody asked you, oh wisest mage in the land."

"Madeline!" My father roars at me. "Do not be rude to our guest!"

"I can be rude to whoever I want to be, Pa," I say giving him the side-eye. I hurriedly climb down the ladder.

"You must be Mast-" Killian tries to say before I cut him off.

"Shut up." I narrow my eyes. "I'm watching you, wise one. Make one wrong move and I'll force you out of town myself." Then, I stomp away.