That Day

You were just so nice

Lizzie had fallen for you quite hard. 

She had never thought that she would like the same sex as herself, but the more she thought about it, the more it made sense.

Girls always cared about smelling and looking nice. Their hands and lips was always softer. And, of course, they typically had a much better sense of style than boys. Plus, who didn't love sharing clothes with their lover or maybe doing their makeup or nails. Boys don't let her do makeup on them.

She remembers the day she fell for you.

You two had been assigned to work on a project together. She had originally been less than pleased to work with you. She didn't know who you were, and she originally wasn't all that impressed. 

You were an average beauty in her eyes. Definitely not something to gawk at, like her. You were also too quiet. She honestly hadn't even realized that you had sat down beside her to work. You were timidly trying to get her attention to get started, but she just didn't seem to notice you.

You had finally tapped on her shoulder, and you almost collapsed when she gave you a cold stare.

After that awkward first encounter, you two had finally settled down to start on the project.

That's when it started.

You were just so shy around her.

You could barely speak around her, you would get so flustered.

 And she thought it was so cute.

At first, she brushed off these feelings. Princesses like her were supposed to like princes. Not only were you definitely not a prince, but you weren't any sort of royalty at all. How embarrassing would it be if she were to like you? If anything, you should be the one who liked her.

So, she started to be mean.

She would make you carry her books. She wouldn't allow you to walk beside her. And, she'd make sure to make it clear to you that she was much prettier than you.

But then, you went along with it.

You'd carry as many books as she pleased, even if your knees started to wobble from the weight. You would walk behind her at a comfortable distance and keep up with her pace without complaint. And, no matter what the comment was, you'd just smile and agree that she was very pretty.

It made her fall for you harder.

But she finally confirmed her feelings for you on one off day.

You two had about three days till you had to turn in the project. To say that you two had worked hard would be an understatement.

You two had made a diorama of Lizzie's home in wonderland. However, it was also quite heavy.

And, Lizzie wasn't going to risk breaking a nail by helping you lift it.

And you were too polite to ask her, or anyone else, for help.

Unfortunately, along with its weight, it also obscured your vision. After bumping into a few too many people, you lost your balance and fell forward. The diorama fell and broke into pieces, while you fell into it.

You could feel hundreds of tiny bruises forming along your body as you struggled to get up. People murmured around you, but no one went to help you. Not while Lizzie looked at you like that. She was furious, and no one wanted to get in her way.

"Are you kidding me?" she stepped closer to you and kept her voice low enough for only you to hear.

You finally got up and sat on your knees as you looked down at the destroyed project, "I-I'm really sorry, Lizzie."

"Sorry?" She walked closer to you and looked down at you with disgust, "Sorry won't fix this mess you've made, will it?"

Your vision became blurry as tears welled up. Eventually, Lizzie let out a huff and walked away.

Only then did the people around offer help. They asked if you needed to visit a nurse, or help in gathering the various pieces on the ground. You just brushed away the tears and murmured to everyone that you were alright.

Thanks to the others, you were able to gather the project pieces. The project was also a lot lighter, so you, sadly, carried it all the way to the intended classroom.

Placing the broken project onto your shared desk. You mentally prepared yourself by taking a few deep breaths. Then you walked up to the teachers desk and hesitantly started to explain why the project was in the state it was in.

Eventually the bell rang, and the classroom started to fill up. You continued to stand at the teacher's desk as Lizzie came into the classroom. Being called up to the front, you could feel her gaze piercing you, and you tried your best not to tremble.

Lizzie had been expecting the worst when she had been called up. 

"It has come to my attention that I've assigned you a very reckless partner." Now that was a shock.

She looked at you, but you kept your gaze fixed to the floor. You looked so scared.

"As a result of Miss [L/n]'s, I will be giving you, Miss Hearts, a 'C'."

Lizzie felt herself gasp quietly. The teacher handed her a project grade paper with a 'C' marked across the top. Then they looked over to you.

"And for you, Miss [L/n]," they slid another paper across the desk, and Lizzie felt herself gulp. "I'm afraid you have an 'F'."

"I understand." Lizzie could hear the sadness in your voice.

"I also believe detention is in order for your disregard for your partner's grade."

"I understand."

"Alright, both of you please take your seats."

"Why did you do that?" Lizzie couldn't understand why you would help her so much. She was mean to you. She was the one who didn't help you carry the heavy diorama, and resulted in you dropping it. She should be the one with the 'F'.

"Well," you had finally started to settle down and the tears started to go away, "I couldn't let a princess lose some of her reputation because I did something stupid, right?"

Lizzie's heart quickened, "But, you didn't have to do that."

"We're friends right? And friends should protect each other."

'Friends...' Lizzie had treated you like a slave. She treated you like she was multiple levels above you. But, you were so quiet and shy. Perhaps you saw her mistreatment of you as friendship. You really were such an innocent thing. 

And she had the power to protect you.

She gave you  warm smile, the nicest thing she had given you, "Of course we're friends." She grabbed your hands within hers and intertwined the fingers, "After class, I'll try to convince the teacher to let you out of detention, and then, we should hang out after school."

"Really?" you had such an excited, cute face, "That sounds like fun!"

From that moment on, you and Lizzie were inseparable.

And that's just how she liked it.