Secret

Will Byers trudged through the halls of Hawkins Middle school. He longed to see his friends, but he didn't have math class with them this year. He was missing them tremendously and it had only been one period. And to think Joyce almost convinced him to move away from his only life. 

Will had been talking to Max more often than usual, and he had let a dark secret slip out that no one else in the group new about. Will's mom didn't even know. He had accidentally told Max that he's gay. She had reacted kindly and seemed supportive, but Will still couldn't believe he had told her. 

Finally the school bell rang and it was time to switch classes. Will mentally smiled at the thought of seeing his friends this period. He hurried off to social studies and pulled out his chair. He dropped into it and saw Dustin, Max and Lucas enter the room. They waved and he waved back. 

Soon Mike followed into the bland and dull classroom. Will's heart skipped a beat when he saw him. He ignored the feeling though, and unpacked his items for class. 

The class period moved seemingly slower than usual and Will was relieved to be switching to English. He had this class with only Max and Mike. Will sighed longingly.

~~

Mike tried to pay attention to class but he had too much swirling around his head. Billy Hargrove had been killed, Eleven barely survived, evil Russians had been found in Hawkins, things really couldn't get any crazier. But couldn't they?

Mike was absorbed in his thoughts when he heard Mr.Clarke say something along the lines of a test on Friday. Mike tried not to worry about that as he headed off to lunch. 

"Will, I'm still glad your family decided to stay in Hawkins. I think it was the best decision for you, Joyce and El." Mike smiled at Will after spotting his friends and swiftly heading over to them.

At the mention of Eleven, Will felt a quick pang of sadness, but he smiled anyway. "Thanks. I would've really missed you guys." He responded honestly.

Mike returned Will's smile as the group got their lunches and found seats. Will sat with Max on the right of him and Mike on the left.

"So, did you tell anyone else about the thing?" Max whispered to Will, inaudible to Dustin, Mike and Lucas. 

"No, not yet." Will replied nervously.

Max sighed. "Well, that's fine, but I have a question. Who made you realize you're gay?" 

Will furrowed his brows, not sure how to answer that. "I...um...I don't know actually. I just never felt an attraction to girls, and I kind of admire certain things about boys?" 

Max nodded. "Right, well if you ever have a crush, I'll totally support you." She smiled, ending the conversation.

As the group rambled on about D & D,  Will nodding and commenting a few times, he was left to wonder about what Max had said.