Chapter 2 (Part 14)

Start from the beginning

The young man blushed a little as he bowed to the two inspectors. "Thank you, Inspector Choi." He then gestured for them to follow him to his car.

"Have you brought in the hospital staff for questioning?" asked Sooyoung once they had driven away from the station.

"I have. The doctor, the two nurses and the morgue resident are at the station now. That guy tried to skip town."

"Huh? Which guy?"

"Hyeonwoo."

"The shady resident? Why? Doesn't he know that running indicates guilt?"

He shrugged. "No idea. He wouldn't talk though. The only one who looks innocent is the female nurse."

"Why do you say that?" asked Taeyeon from the back seat.

"She answered all our questions and cooperated with everything. She didn't know much, she said, and denied all involvement but she gave us permission go through her apartment and even her bank account. She said she had nothing to hide and I believed her. We found nothing on her. No relation to that convict Ji Seungjin and no criminal record. She's just an ordinary nurse, a mother of two and wife to a bank clerk downtown."

"I see. But you're still detaining her, right?"

"For now. But we can't hold her much longer. There's no reason to do so since she's been very cooperative with the investigation."

"Then we'll get to her first. Yul, maybe you can talk to her?" said Taeyeon.

"On it."

"Syoung-ah, let's go drill that morgue staff. I have a feeling that he's very much involved in the body switch."

"You got it. Can I be bad cop?" Sooyoung turned to look behind her and grinned. "I'd like to keep my roles consistent and I was bad cop last time I saw him."

"Okay. But that doctor is mine," said Taeyeon. "I want to know why Seungjin is on his Facebook."

"He's all yours." Sooyoung turned around to face the road ahead and noticed Sehun furrowing his brows. "Taeng... I mean, Inspector Kim, is our team leader, Sehun. She's in charge."

"O-oh. I see." Sehun stole a glance at the woman sitting in the backseat through the rearview mirror. "Then I better pay attention and learn a thing or two."

Taeyeon gave him a small smile. "Be my guest."

--

The nervous young man turned his head when the door opened. He recognized Sooyoung and instantly tensed as he watched her and Taeyeon took their seats across from him.

"Do you still remember me?" asked Sooyoung as she opened the folder in her hands.

"Y-yes."

"Heard you were going to skip town, Hyeonwoo. You do know that running makes you look guilty, right?" She kept her eyes on the paper.

"I-I've been planning this trip for a long time."

"Really now? Then how come your supervising pathologist didn't know about it? You would've told him about taking a few days off for this trip of yours, wouldn't you? I mean, he's technically your boss."