Chapter 2 (Part 11)

Start from the beginning

Her gut still told her that Seungjin was behind all this but the lack of progress from the team was silently gnawing at her. She hated the wait and the absence of proper evidence or links. She hated feeling clueless and, worse, powerless to protect the people she cared about.

Not to mention the awkward position she was in with regards to Tiffany and her father; the feeling that she might have to let go of that small dream she had fostered since many years ago.

She might be strong but she was just human; and humans had limits.

That afternoon, as she wiped her eyes and straightened up to walk out of the narrow alley, Taeyeon realized that she was nearing hers.

--

"Why do these places always look creepy?" Sooyoung asked as she observed the building in front of her with her nose scrunched up in dislike.

"It comes with the job, I guess. A fun looking crematorium just doesn't sound right. It's supposed to be dreary and creepy," said Sehun who led the way inside. "Excuse me?" He called out. "Is anybody here?"

"See? Very creepy," muttered Sooyoung when no one answered.

"They're probably at the back, working." Sehun began walking past the empty reception desk, looking inside the rooms as he strolled on, trying to find the stairs. "I think they usually put the incinerator in the base-... Ah here we go." He found the stairs leading down to a sturdy door.

The three went inside the well-lit basement but found no one. Even the incinerator was off.

"Strange," Jongin said as he approached the metal door of the incinerator and touched the cold surface. "Call me crazy but this thing looks like it hasn't been used in quite a while." He pulled the handle to check inside.

"Neither have these," added Sehun from a corner where tools and urns were placed.

"That desk and chair look to be the only thing that's been recently used, to be honest," said Sooyoung. "There's dust everywhere."

"We are at a crematorium, Noona," said Jongin after closing the small door.

"Ashes are different from dust and I'm pretty sure this is just dust. Plus, if they were indeed ashes, they aren't supposed to be strewn all over the place like this."

"Inspector Choi's right, Assistant Inspector Kim," said Sehun after he ran a finger over one of the urns, disturbing the soft layer of dust. "This is dust, not ash."

"Strange. Unless they have another incinerator somewhere."

"I don't think so. This particular crematorium is pretty small. You can't fit another incinerator in this building."

"Then where do they do the cremating?"

As if right on cue, they heard voices from upstairs and hurried out to see whomever it was.

Jongin was the first to emerge from the basement door. He caught a glimpse of someone walking out the back door and immediately followed. Sehun and Sooyoung were right behind him.

His eyes widened when he saw what was going on in the walled backyard. He reached for his gun, swiftly taking it out of its holster.