Chapter XI - Explain Yourself

Start from the beginning

"My mother only had me to be an heir. The last thing I want to do is give her that satisfaction." I spoke of my reasons.

"Then your mother still has control of you." He countered, "It's your life, Ashton, You can't live it for anyone else."

"I suppose it doesn't matter now, it's over," I tell him without any excitement. Even if I wanted to change what is to come, it may not matter in the long run. I choose to leave and Peter chooses the Princess of Archenland.

"Why can you fight for everyone in Narnia but not yourself?" "You never fought for Peter. You let some princess from a different kingdom steal him without a single word. I don't know how you can be more afraid of telling him how you feel than of losing him forever."

Ash sighs, taking in the truth, letting her mind wander around with the possibilities.

╣╠

The only noise heard from the dining hall was the scratch of utensils across the glass plates

The only noise heard from the dining hall was the scratch of utensils across the glass plates. Edmund and I looked at each other nervously, knowing that any minute this family dinner would turn into a family fight. Claudia ate her food slowly, not wanting to be the spark to the light of this family bomb.

Susan, who usually held her chin high no matter the occasion, seemed to shrink behind her meal.

"How's everyone's food?" Lucy questions kindly, hoping to break some tension in the air.

"Fine," Susan states, not looking up from her plate.

"Splendid, thank you." Princess Claudia answered, dabbing her face with a napkin.

I peered over at the two empty chairs next to Edmund, one for Ash and one for Benvolio, "Are they coming to dinner tonight?"

"Not that I know of. I don't blame them, it isn't exactly a Pevensie fun-filled party." Edmund snarls.

Susan noticed Peter's gaze on the chairs, letting out an exasperated sigh, "Maybe she just needed space. I'm sure they'll be back soon."

"Wait. What do you mean 'back'?" Peter asks, standing up from his chair abruptly.

"Where is she?" Edmund added, frazzled by Peters overrating protection.

All the Pevensie fell silent, with no answer. Peter looked to the guards and they had no answer either.

"Susan," Peter growls lowly.

Susan frowns, "What? It's not my fault she ran off."

"This time," Edmund remarked, making me kick him under the table. This fight was better left between Peter and Susan.

"And conveniently you are the only one that knew she left the castle grounds." Peter pointed out.

"I didn't do anything!" Susan breathed out heavily, dropping her utensils on the table. Claudia jumped in her seat slightly.