Chapter XVII - Last Night

╣╠

"It was fun when we were young and now we're older

Those days that are the worst, they seem to glow now."

Rollercoaster

Jonas Brothers

╣╠

Chapter XVII - Last Night

╣╠

Twelve hours. Narnia was in pieces after only twelve hours. Seven hundred twenty minutes, Forty-three thousand seconds and one of those seconds filled with Allie's screams. Another was invaded with the last promise two people would ever make. Hundreds drawn out with emotions and painful memories. And every second without Ashton felt like a million to Peter Pevensie. Once the King of everything but now would offer it all up for a chance to have her in his arms.

╣╠

Everyone reacted differently to the ins and outs of life

Everyone reacted differently to the ins and outs of life. The crowded ballroom floor after the ceremony was a perfect example of the confusing coping mechanisms of the human brain. In all my years as a spy, I could never be a hundred percent sure how someone would react. I could make estimates or calculations but the odds were not always in my favor.

Peter and I found perfect company with each other, swaying on the dance floor. He let go of his kingly duties for the night and I dropped my guard to the world around me. I rested my head on his chest, letting my thoughts be fascinated by the reactions of the people. Edmund, overly maturely, went to bed to get a good night's rest before the battle.

He wished his family a good night, waving to Peter and I to not interrupt which we returned.  Then he straightened his coat sleeves and marched to say good night to Allie's family. There was a certain pleasure watching him shake the hands of Allie's five brothers. Each Hood sibling walked the line of respecting him as a king and killing him for dating their sister. Robin Hood showed less control than her brothers, laughing and grabbing Edmund's shoulder. Leaning in without a hit of humor, surely respectfully warning the near eighteen-year-old King against anything less than honorable around his daughter. Well, at least Mariam was kind. Allie mouthed an apology, kissing his cheek and giving him a wink before he retreated for the night. As soon as Edmund turned around, heading to bed, Mariam lightly backhanded her husband's arm and chastised the boys. They backed down, but still wouldn't let Allie out of their sight for the night and even then, they might stand guard at her door

Susan was lingering on the outskirts of the upper balcony for once not trying to entertain her the entire party. She stared into space and for the first time since I met her she seemed... unfocused. She oversaw the guests but never seemed to care at all. Only Susan's thoughts resided in the room with her. I fear she worries for the country, knowing once the battle comes she can do little with man to man fighting. Her bow could only get her so far. Theo and Lucy founded tonight as the night to be bold. They hadn't left each other's sides for most of the night, someone asked Lucy for a dance and as the lady she was, he had to accept. Theo hated every moment of the dance, but he had no room to complain as he had not made anything official between them.