13. Good and Bad

"How would you know that he's in love with her? What did he do? H–how would you know that your potion actually works?" I bombarded him with questions.

If Seth had tried anything on Ruth, I would once again have to kick his ass, before forcing Ethan to send this guy far far away once and for all.

"He seemed mesmerized by her. See it changes the chemicals in your brai–"

"Where is Ruth now? Did Seth do something?" I tried again urgently while I shook him.

He was starting to annoy me.

"Geez relax, nothing happened," He assured me meekly, removing my hands from his shoulders. "I stepped in."

Seth was staring at the young woman who was walking past him.

He had never noticed how beautiful, poised and elegant she was.

She looked like an angel – quite the opposite of what he was. But maybe that was exactly what he wanted.

Her of all people.

The zombie project of those lunatics.

Why hadn't he noticed how precious she was before?

A breeze of her pretty scent which sent him to other dimensions found its way to Seth as she walked right past him.

"Ruth?" He said, stretching out his arm in an attempt to hinder her from getting away.

She stopped dead in her tracks and once she realized who it was, her eyes widened. "What is it?"

Yes, what was it?

He had no answer himself.

All he knew was that he wanted her around.

It was ironic considering that his goal had been to get rid of her – even if it meant her death.

But now he wanted her to be happy more than anything.

That was a first for Seth. Never before had he cared about anyone but himself.

He tried his luck the only way he knew how.

"Are you still with that Cory cunt?" He scoffed.

"I would appreciate if you'd stop with the name calling", She told him with a stern look. "He is a wonderful person, and I'm afraid our relationship does not concern you."

"Oh yeah? If he's so wonderful how come he's cheating on you with Lillith?" He asked haughtily.

It was a lie, but he didn't care.

"Kick rocks, Seth," Ruth replied.

The others had told her about Seth. She knew better than to trust him.

"You like being cheated on?" He wondered. "He even fucked her while you were lying six feet under the ground."

Ruth could not believe the audacity.

Hot tears of anger started streaming down her face.

A sight that Seth couldn't stand somehow all of a sudden.

"I could beat him up for ya!" He offered smiling.

It was a menacing smile that Ruth did not like one bit. Neither did she appreciate his offer.

She wiped her tears away. "Listen here –"

That's when Ethan had finally decided to make his presence known. He walked up from behind the bush near the staircase and approached the two.

"Come on, Ruth, let's just go," Ethan said and grabbed her gently by her arm, without glancing at Seth.

"Get lost, you stupid dumbfuck!" Seth told him angrily, pushing him by the shoulder which caused him to lose his balance. Luckily Ruth was able to stabilize him.

"You're brainwashing her," He told him unappreciatively. "You got it all wrong," He then said, addressing the girl. "Whatever they told you about me isn't true. I'm not the bad one here, and they're not innocent either. Give me a chance to prove it to you, Ruth. You're hanging with the wrong crowd! You're just a project to them! Why else would Cory see a psychiatrist? Him and his posse got a couple screws loose."

In the meantime Ethan was already texting Dakota to come get Ruth.

"How can your peabrain come up with so much bullshit? Lively imagination you have there," Ethan then said, putting his phone back into his pocket.

Ruth however was torn.

Was it right to only listen to their side of the story without giving Seth at least a chance?

She glanced down at Ethan's hand, which was still gripping her wrist.

But then again he was calling them names and threatening them to put them behind bars.

But maybe those people were in fact bad criminals that wanted to harm her.

Ruth was overcome by fear.

Who could she truly trust?

"... So then Dakota came and took her to her dorm-room."

"How could you mess up so badly, man?" I drove my hand through my hair in distress. "You're creating more and more problems."

"I know," He mumbled gloomily. "That's why I decided to stop with the inventions. They're causing too much trouble."

"No, no, no," I told him. "First you're gonna create an unlove potion or whatever you wanna call it and then we're getting him kicked out," I explained. "Like now, get started! I'm gonna help you!"

"It's not that easy," Ethan gave back. "It'll take some time, but I might have a theory on why she can't remember you."

That was fucking painful.

My baby couldn't remember me, let alone the love she once had for me and it hurt like hell.

"Remember how I told you that once people come back to life with the help of the serum they forget the cause of their death?"

"Yeah," I told him, unsure where he was going with this.

"Well you dumped the serum on her grave, so you're the reason for her revival and simultaneously the reason for her death since the serum was flawed and only worked for a certain amount of time," Ethan explained.

I was the cause of Ruth's death?