Chapter Thirty-Five

Start from the beginning

            When I enter, Layla is sitting up in bed while looking down at her phone. She notices that I’ve entered and looks up to give me a suspicious look.

            “You two looked comfy.” She states bluntly.

            I feel crimson crawl up my skin, “Yeah…”

            “So,” She drawls, throwing the covers off of her legs and leaning forward with renewed energy. “Are you two dating?”

            I fidget awkwardly with my fingers—I didn’t like how I didn’t know the answer to that. Are we?

            I never really had much time to process the kiss earlier—but did it mean something?

            I purse my lip and shrug, “I’m not sure.”

            “Wait,” After moment, recognition crosses her features, “You guys kissed?”

             As if my cheeks weren’t already scathing in embarrassment, they begin to ache under the amount of blood rushing to my face.

           “I never said that.” I argue instantly, my entire body tingling at this whole awkward situation.

            “It’s written all over your face.” She narrows her eyes, “Not very hard to figure it out.”

            “Ugh.” Is all I can say.

           “And you’re not sure if you’re together?” She utters slowly.

            I begin to speak, “It’s—“

           “—not complicated at all.” Then she hesitates, a grimace embracing her lips “Unless, you two are—you know…”

            I stare at her in confusion, my brows furrowing, “We are?”

            “Friends with benefits?” She spits out as fast as she can, her own face turning red.

            I feel my jaw drop, “Ew—What!”

            She throws her hands up, “I had to ask!”

            “No!” I argue, feeling light hysteria slither up my throat, “No you didn’t have to!”

            I shudder just as she asks, “So are you?”

            “No!” I groan, throwing my head back in disbelief. 

            “Enemies with—“

            “Ohmygod, no.” I interrupt before she can even finish that sentence, “Can you just drop it?”

            She raises an eyebrow, “Acquaintances?”

            “Layla!” I nearly hiss, throwing down my fists in a full on tantrum.

            She rolls her eyes before walking around the bed to gather her belongings, “Okay! Okay.”

            I sigh in relief and grumble, “Thank you.”

            While she grabs her jacket, I hear her mumble barely audible words, “Just use protection.”

            I stomp my foot, ignorant to my childishness, “I swear to your peanut butter and jelly sandwiches—”