XXI. Memory Lane

Today Keenon actually gets sentenced. I've seen him a few times and still haven't managed to tell him the news. I'm only two months, and apparently I won't be having one. I was all dressed and ready to go to court. I had told Aharon I was pregnant, so maybe Keenon knows. I got to the court house and took a deep breath before going in. I went to the court room as Keenon came out. I smiled at him and he looked happy, like he does when I go see him. I sat down and Keenon was just watching me! I started blushing and smiling. My parents sat next to me and I hugged them.

In the past month I developed a relationship with them. Mostly my mom! She went with me to get my first sonogram, she was the first person I told I was pregnant. Behind us was Keenon's mom and dad. "I have to pee so bad, but I don't want to miss anything." I said.

"Toya just go." I shook my head.

"Last time I went pee around him he got arrested! I'm not going anywhere." I said as they talked about his case. "Okay, I'm going to rush it." I said before rushing to the bathroom. I peed, then washed my hands. I rushed back and Aharon was talking.

"Your honor, my client pleads guilty and will take the time, but his fiancee is with child." He said and I looked confused. Fiancée? Since when? This nigga ain't gave me no ring! "She's having twins and she can't get a job due to her last career... in the entertainment industry." He said and my mom looked at me shocked.

"Yes, I was a stripper!" I whispered to her. They kept talking about the case and gave him 24 months, but 18 with good behavior. I went home and took a nap. I ran and threw up, I hate this! I went to my parents house and talked to my mom.

"So, you were a stripper?" She asked and I nodded.

"Best in Oklahoma." I said and she looked shocked.

"Wow, what's your stripper name?" She asked.

"Miami." I told her before taking a gulp of water. "Three years, then I got with Keenon and he made me quit. He said he'd take care of me, give me any money I needed if I stopped stripping and move in with him." I told her.

"Can people tell you out now?" I shook my head.

"Most I get is a do I know you? You look familiar. When I was stripping I protected my identity. I contoured my face really good, wore contact and a wig." I told her.

"Tell me your story with Keenon. You two seem so in love."

"We met at the club. His brother was the owner and I didn't know, so I seen him everynight. One night I was leaving he hit my car." I started telling her.

I got out the car as this fine ass guy got out. "What the hell!?" I yelled getting out my car barefoot. He stumbled towards me.

"Shit, uh, I ain't got insurance." he said and I looked at him funny.

"Who the fuck drives, drunk without fucking insurance? Stupid ass." I yelled and he dug in his pocket.

"Uh, you think this enough?" he asked handing me a thousand dollars.

"I don't want your dirty ass money, I'll just sue yo--"

"What's all the commotion?" the owner of the club asked and I sighed.

"This stupid ass hit my car!" I yelled.

"My nigga, you tryna drive drunk? Wit' yo record?" he asked the dude.

"Look, I can give you a ride home Miami and in the morning we can settle it." he said and I sighed.

"I just want to go home and take a hot bath." I said and he nodded. He took me home and I got out the car as well as the dude that hit my car.

"Look, I'm sor--" he threw up on my shoes!

"Ew! What the fuck is your fucking problem? If you can't hold your fucking liquor don't fucking drink!" I yelled as I kicked my shoes off.

"And that's how I met my baby daddy." I said rubbing my small flat stomach.

"Wow." She said and I laughed. "How'd you get with him?"

"One night I was leaving the club and a group of guys crowded around trying gang bang me." I started. "He seen me and helped me, we were already kind of talking and he asked me out, we went on like twenty dates, one every week for five months. One day I was at the club and I was giving a guy a dance and the guy kept touching me all over.

"Keenon seen him touching me and he pulled me away from the guy and told me that night was my last night and if I move in he'd take care of me, treat me right, and protect me." I said before getting another water from the fridge.

"Did he?"

"Believe it or not, even in jail he is." I told her. "Do you mind if I cook something, I'm starving." I said.

"Go right a head." She said and I got some chicken she had. "Do you think you'll marry Keenon?"

"Not for a while, he said he doesn't want to get married." I said. "We argued all the time about it. I wanted a marriage, he wanted a baby, and deep down I knew he'd get his before I got mine." I said. We take and I made chicken Alfredo baked ziti.

"This is good Toya, where'd you learn to cook?"

"Taught myself." I told her putting food in my mouth.

"Wow." She said shocked. "This is really good." She added as my dad walked in the door. "Hey babe." She said getting up kissing him.

"Ew! You guys kissed!" I exclaimed they laughed.

"Our daughter can cook really good, taste this." She said putting a fork full in his mouth.

"This is good." He said. "What is it?"

"Chicken Alfredo baked ziti." I told him smiling. "Sit, I'll make you a plate." I said getting up.

"I can do it."

"It's fine, I need to walk more." I said and he sat down. I made him a plate and we all ate. "Can I ask you guys a questions?" I asked sitting my fork down.

"Sure." my mom said.

"Why did I get taken away?" I asked.

"Domestic violence the first time the second time you fell out the window over there." she told me pointing to the window. "Nobody wanted to take you, so you got lost in the system."

"Domestic violence?"

"I was young." My dad said.

"That isn't an excuse." I said. "I've been abused by men and there should never be a reason to abuse a women!"