Eden and the Donut Shop

a/n: Noah schnapp as Stellen <3

Eden holds her backpack straps tightly as she walks to Dawson park, on her way to meet Stanley for their project

It had been a beautiful Saturday afternoon, the sun shining brightly on the town, the spring flowers blooming, and nearly no clouds in sight.

Eden had managed to escape her house in some baggy jeans, ripped at the knees, and a short sleeved shirt that fit tightly against her torso. If her mother would have noticed, she would've most definitely made her change into one of her skirts.

On her way, she decides to stop by Derry's Donuts, her favorite place to sneak junk food while her mother wasn't around. She had snuck there so many times, that she had come to befriend Stellen Archer.

Stellen is the kind boy who's father runs the shop. Eden would always see him sitting alone and reading, so, one day, she decided to speak to him. He is her only friend, and Eden is okay with that. Unfortunately, Stellen is homeschooled, so she doesn't get to see him at school.

She happily enters the shop. Stellen looks up at the sound of the bell, smiling when he spots the blonde. He sets his book down, standing up and greeting the girl.

"Hey, Stell." She beams. Stellen sneaks in behind the counter, leaning over towards her on the other side. "What can I get you today, pretty lady?" He says in a deep voice.

"One Boston Cream please." She grins. "Coming right up." He nods at her, reaching in the back for a tray of donuts, then placing one in a paper bag.

"That will be your soul, please." He holds out his hand. Eden laughs. "Dang it. I shouldn't have spent all my soul on that mansion yesterday." She jokes.

Stellen jumps over the counter to stand beside her. "So, how's it hanging, Dennie?" He inquires. "Pretty normal. Mom's being a bitch as always." She states, mouthful of the donut.

"What's with the bag? You headed somewhere?" He asks. "Oh, Yeah. I got paired up with Stanley Uris for my science project. We're gonna meet at Dawson park." She replies.

"Isn't Stanley Uris that Jewish kid with the curly hair?" Stellen comments as Eden lets him have a bite from her donut. "The one and only." She smiles.

"Hey, about that, could I get another Boston Cream? I figure it'd be nice to get him one." She says. "Sure thing." Stellen sends her a bright grin, then hops back over the counter, and handing her another paper bag.

"Thanks, you're the best." She leans in, pecking his cheek. "I'll see you later, Stelly! I can't be late!" She calls, backing away from him and towards the exit.

"Bye, Dennie!"

As soon as she's gone, Stellen sigh, leaning back against the counter. "Wish you'd notice." He mutters.

Eden spots Stanley sitting with a pair of binoculars hanging around his neck. "Hey, Stanley." She says, looking to the boy as she takes a seat beside him. "Oh. Great. I was starting to think you bailed on me." He says in relief.

"Well, lucky for you, I actually decided to get you a donut." She awkwardly smiles at him, handing the boy the paper bag.

He peers inside of it, then smiles. "Thanks, Eden. That's really cool of you."

"So, what's with the binoculars?" She chuckles, watching as he lifts them up to his eyes. "Bird watching. What better way to pick what bird we wanna research than to find them ourselves?" He explains.

"Well, I don't think I'll need binoculars to spot the pigeon eating your donut." She states, looking down at the pigeon standing in between the large gap from Eden Stanley, where the donut sat.

"Dang it!" Stanley shoos the bird away, sighing. "I wanted to eat that." He whines. "You gotta watch your donut next time, dude." She chuckles.

"I'll take that into consideration. Where'd you get it anyways?" He inquires. "Derry's Donuts. They've got the best. Plus, I get it all for free since my friend's dad owns the place." She beams.

"Maybe I could come with you sometime." Stanley suggests, then pauses. "Wait, scratch that. Sorry. Sometimes I forget that you don't really wanna be friends anyways." Stanley sighs.

"That sounds pretty fun, actually." She cuts in. "I'm sure you and Stellen would get along pretty well." She adds.

Stanley can't help but smile as a blush creeps itself onto his cheeks. "Ooh! I found a Robin!" He exclaims, looking into the binoculars.

Eden laughs at his enthusiasm, holding her hands out and taking the binoculars. She pulls them over her eyes, despite them still being hung around Stanley's neck.

This causes them two of them to come extremely close, yet Eden doesn't seem to mind. "Where'd the bird go?" She yells, causing Stanley to shout as his ear was far too close.

"You probably scared it with your yelling." He responds, pulling away as he blocks his ear. "Well, the birds are just a bunch of pussies then. I wasn't that loud." She playfully rolls her eyes.

"Yeah? Well, I think I'm going deaf."

She laughs, lightly slapping his arm. "Come on, we've got a project to work on. Bullying me won't help make it go by any faster."