Chapter One

Amber

I look past my mum to see out the car window. My new home now standing right in front of me, blue walls and all.

"This is it..." Mum says. She turns the car engine off and hops out of the car. I stay in my seat looking out the window at the house.

This is all happening. 

I eventually, jump out of the car and grab my suitcase from the boot. I take small, shaky steps up to the front door. I watch as my mum inserts the keys into the lock. I took in a sharp breath when I heard the door unlock. 

"Home sweet home, Amber!" mum smiles as she pushes the door open to let ourselves in. 

My biker boots send loud echos around the house with every step I take. 

Wow! Is all I can think. This place is so much nicer than our old apartment, and the fact that this is an actual house is great! I walk into the living room to see everything already set up.

I turn to face my mother and ask her "When did you get time to set everything up?" She laughs hearing the amazement in my voice. 

"Remember the few days off I got from work, well I put those days to good use and fixed up most of the house. Of course, I haven't fully fixed up my room, your room-" I cut her off with a hug. I remember the days she was off work and I thought she was going to use them to relax and pamper herself, but instead she set up the house. 

"Thanks, mum, you didn't need to do that. You could have used those days off for something better." I reply as I pull away from the hug. She smiles at me and shows me to my new room. I gasp when I see that the wall behind my bed has been painted red, my favourite colour, and on that wall is all of my photos with my friends from over the years and my ever-growing collection of posters, celebrities and inspirational ones. 

"Suprise! I thought you might like something like this and you can rearrange the photos and posters to your liking later if you want." mum says referring to the wall. I just give her a massive hug as a reply. She walks out of the room talking about ordering take out for dinner and watching a movie. I hum in response and start to unpack my things.

- - -

Later that night I am stuck tossing and turning in bed. Everything is so new, so different it's messing with my head. I hadn't moved houses since I was little, so young I can't remember.  

I give up on sleeping and walk over to the small bench-like seat by my windowsill. I drop myself down among all the pillows and soft toys I had thrown here earlier. Pulling my blanket around my body I snuggle closer to the windowpane. I press my cheek against the glass and stare at my new neighbourhood. 

Looking at each of the houses on the opposite side of the road, I imagine the people who might live within the walls. An old couple there, a young family here, a cat lady over there and so on. I sigh wondering if any of the houses on my street might hold kids that go to my new school.

Right, my new school...   

The thought of starting at a new school in year 10 was frightening. New school, new friends, new peers, new teachers the whole shebang. I mean I wasn't nervous about failing my classes I was nervous about fitting in. I had always had trouble fitting in, being an introvert and extremely shy I never was able to make friends. I knew that had to change this year though, I needed to change.

I glance at the small clock on my bedside table. 

3:27 am

I snuggle further into my blanket and rest my head back against the window.