She was certain that her dad was there, and knowing her dad, the events during Stella's engagement party would surely be brought up. It was as if the threats she had received from the Concepcion clan after the party weren't enough.

But she didn't want to miss the night even when it meant hearing his dad nagging once again.

Si Venice ang isa sa mga kakampi niya at alam niyang maiintindihan nito ang mga ginagawa niya. But unlike her, the clan didn't hate her as much as they hated Vannessa. After all, Venice was a total charmer. She was like a nymph, she could get people to like her and to be her friend.

They were almost like a total opposite.

She could even get Venice to do things in order to know details about Jack's life, just like what she did to Jax's, but it would mean her sister having to possibly know the secrets that involved Jack that she hadn't told anyone. It scared her.

That was why as much as possible, she wanted to do things on her own. She didn't want that to be brought up again. It took her long anough to get that memory to stop haunting her in her sleep.

Napabuntonghininga na lamang siya. Pagkatapos ng pag-uusap nila ni Amanda'y pakiramdam niya'y unti-unti na namang lumalayo ang posibleng daan niya para muling makita ang dating nobyo at makapaghiganti rito.

The drive back to their house felt so long, but when she saw Venice, she immediately ran towards her sister and embrace her.

The first thing she noticed was her sister's dyed hair. She dyed her long hair into blonde, it made her face stood out even more. She looked shining.

"It seemed like ages," Venice said. "Kumusta ka? I heard about what happened sa mansyon. Dad told me."

Vannessa rolled her eyes before walking inside the house together with Venice. "I mean, mas dapat ka sigurong magulat kapag pumunta ako roon at walang masamang nangyari. Now, that would call for a miracle," natatawa niyang tugon.

When they entered the living area, she saw Ronan, Venice's boyfriend. Kaagad itong kumaway-kaway sa kanya tsaka ngumiti. Jowa na ito ng kanyang kapatid simula noong high school pa lamang ang dalawa. Kaya malapit na rin ito sa pamilya nila ay nakalalabas-masok na rin sa bahay.

On the opposite side of Ronan sat her dad who immediately shot her a look when their eyes met.

Vannessa could only roll her eyes in annoyance.

"I heard that Stella was furious," said Venice.

Muling naalala ni Vannessa ang mukha ng pinsan noong papalabas na sila ng ballroom ng mansyon. She couldn't explain how satisfying it was. "Well, if she didn't want her party to be ruined, she shouldn't have tricked me into going there. Do you even know what they did to make me attend the party?"

Umiling-iling ang kapatid. "No, do tell."

Habang iniisip pa lang ni Vannessa ay umiinit na ang kanyang dugo. "They messaged me, saying that Pops was dead and that he died in his sleep."

Kaagad na nagsalubong ang mga kilay ni Venice sa narinig. "They're really horrible, stopping that low just to get you to attend. For what? Kung nandoon lang ako."

"Ayos lang. Santi was able to silence her, just like she always did."

Nanlaki ang mga mata ni Venice nang marinig iyon, hindi makapaniwala sa narinig. "You mean Rosary?"

"Yes."

Natawa siya nang muling napagtanto na banal na banal ang tunay na pangalan ni Santi, labis na kabaliktaran sa ugali nito. But that made Santi even more likeable for Vannessa. She owed her one.

"Vs, don't just stand there, help me with the food para makakain na tayo," sigaw ng Mommy nila na nasa dining area.

Nagkatinginan sina Vannessa at Venice bago sabay na nagbuntonghininga.

Muling nag-abot ang tingin ni Vannessa at ng daddy niya. With a groan, she said, "Alam kong gustung-gusto mo na akong pangaralan, but save it for later, Daddy. I just got home," she said.

In the dining room, they helped their mother prepare the food while their dad and Ronan talked in the living area.

Ikinuwento niya kay Venice at sa mommy niya ang mga nangyari sa party at iilan sa mga sinabi ng mga tita niya.

"I'm sorry if I wasn't there for you, Van," said her mom with an apologetic look on her face.

Vannessa let out a sigh before arranging the plates on the table. "It's fine. I think I handled it great. Siguro'y mas magiging magulo lang ang araw na iyon if nandoon ka, Mommy."

The clan had always hated their mom ever since their dad showed interest in her. It was also because her mom didn't act to please the elder Concepcions. They didn't like that. They felt disrespected whenever someone chose to be herself, and they happened to not approve of it.

"Serves them right," said Venice. "Tangina, nanggigigil ako sa kanila. Gusto kong manapak."

Natawa si Vannessa sa sinabi ng kapatid bago umiling-iling.

They changed the subject, and Venice talked about her experiences in Greece. Vannessa had always wanted to go in Santorini, but she was too busy. The three of them promised to go there if they had time.

When dinner was finally prepared, they called the boys who were still talking.

Vannessa knew by then that her dad would talk to her about the party. She knew that he wouldn't even wait till the dinner passed.

Matalim ang titig nito sa kanya nang nakaupo na silang lahat at pagkatapos bumuntonghininga ay nagsalita ito. "Van, I want you to apologize sa mga tita mo."

Napaawang ang kanyang bibig nang marinig iyon. She had expected him to say something like that, but to tell her to apologize when she wasn't even the one who started it, she couldn't help but still feel an utter disbelief. Nagkatinginan sila ni Venice na halata rin ang pagkagulat sa mukha. "What? Seriously?" she asked her dad. "Never in my entire life would I ever apologize to them."

"Tita mo ang mga 'yon. You should have refrained from talking back because I know that you know that it was disrespectful."

Gustong magwala ni Vannessa sa narinig. Pati ang mommy niya ay hindi rin makapaniwala at magkasalubong na ang mga kilay, nakatingin sa daddy niya.

"Disrespectful, Daddy? So I should just let them step over me? Hindi na lang ako lalaban dahil nakatatanda sila?" she asked. Nakaawang ang kanyang bibig, hindi makapaniwala sa narinig. "They didn't even respect Pops, and they expect to get respect?"

"No matter how awful it may seem, they're still your family," he replied in an adamant tone.

Walter had always been family-oriented. After all, the Concepcion clan didn't hate him, instead they hated his wife. Vannessa knew that even when her dad didn't like them getting harassed by the clan, he wouldn't understand the situation like they did.

"Fuck them—"

"Vannessa!"

She breathed deeply, gripping her spoon and fork tightly. "You can't just teach me to respect people who aren't worthy of it, Dad. Wala akong pakialam if they'd hate me more. Galit na galit na nga sila sa 'king wala pa akong ginagawa, 'di ba? Let's just face the truth, no matter what I do, even when I'd give them my utmost respect, they'd still end up hating me anyway. And if it's that's the case, I'd rather defend myself than try to please them when I know I can't."

She wanted to walk out, and go in her old room, but she tried finishing her food even when she almost couldn't swallow properly.

Hinawakan ng kanyang mommy ang kanyang kamay bago ibinaling ang atensyon nito sa daddy niya. "I can't believe you," her mom said, looking intently at her dad.

They just spent the remaining time in the dinner table in grave silence.