Chapter Two

Vannessa could only wonder how someone could look effortlessly good as she stared at Jack who was leaning against his motorcycle. He was wearing a tuxedo that almost hugged his toned body perfectly. With his undone locks that still fell in the right places, she could only mutter words of appreciation under her breath.

She didn't realize she was already clutching her purse nervously, feeling the mixture of excitement and fear blazing in her chest.

"Ang poging bata naman pala," sabi ng driver na nasa tabi niya.

Napangiti siya bago tumango-tango. She didn't say anything. She remained admiring him, hoping she didn't look like a weirdo and a creep. There was just something with seeing the guy in a formal attire that made him look even more attractive than he ever was.

"O siya, lumabas ka na. Basta tatandaan mong dapat alas nuwebe'y nakabalik ka na rito. Yari tayo sa Daddy mo."

Kaagad siyang napasimangot sa sinabi nito. "Kuya Rex, twelve na lang please? This doesn't happen everytime naman eh."

"Hindi pwede. Masiyadong matagal na iyan. Nine thirty."

"Eleven."

"Ten."

"Ten thirty," she pleased, flashing her puppy eyes, hoping it would work on him again like it usually did. Mukhang gumana naman dahil napabuntonghininga si Kuya Rex tsaka napailing-iling.

"Sige, sige. Dapat nakabalik ka na sa oras na iyon, ah. Mag-enjoy ka, Vannessa." Napangiti si Vannessa bago niyakap si Kuya Rex na maingat na hinaplos ang nakaayos niyang buhok. "O naghihintay na ang nobyo mo."

Naramdaman niya ang pamumula ng pisngi sa sinabi ng matanda kaya tanging nahihiyang ngiti lamang ang isinukli niya rito. Bumaba ito ng kotse at pinagbuksan siya ng pinto tsaka siya inalalayang lumabas. She thanked him once again, eyeing the hem of her white gown.

She was wearing a simple backless white gown that hugged the upper portion of her body down to her hips perfectly before falling down to her ankles. The tiny diamonds across her chest shone brightly under the lights. Masaya siyang iyon ang pinili niyang suotin. Her mom had picked up something more daring that showed so much of her skin. Hindi niya alam kung paano niya haharapin si Jack na ganoon ang suot.

She didn't want to ruin the night of her life. It was prom, every high school girl's dream. She had been looking forward for it and it would be better with Jack, her Jack.

Napangiti siya nang makitang nakatingin na sa kanya ang lalaki. Bakas sa mukha nito ang pagkamangha at hindi niya mapigilang makaramdam ng saya at kilig. She was feeling butterflies in her stomach. It was always like that with Jack. She felt excited whenever she saw him.

Naglakad siya papunta rito, the beating of her heart was fast enough it was almost ringing in her ears. She was very nervous. Natatakot siyang baka madapa siya o baka may mangyaring hindi maganda at masira ang gabi nilang dalawa.

She stopped in front of him and the guy's eyes immediately dropped down before looking back at her face. "Wow, you're stunning," he whispered in awe.

Napaiwas siya ng tingin bago napakagat sa labi para pigilan ang pagngiti. "You're not bad yourself," she joked and she heard him giggle. "Let's get inside—?"

"You really do look stunning, Vannessa—"

"You didn't need to repeat that, silly."

"—pero hindi talaga, eh. Ayaw ko na talaga."

Agad na naglaho ang ngiti sa mukha niya at napakunot ang noo. Ramdam niya ang pagsikip ng kanyang dibdib habang pilit niyang tinitingnan ang mga mata ng lalaki, tinitingnan kung may bakas ba ng pagbibiro rito.