Preperation (B.H)

Start from the beginning

"You think it's a boy or a girl?"

In my heart, I know it's a boy. It's my gut feeling. Vi feels the same way.

"It's a boy, I'm sure," I rub my eyes. "We just know, y'know?"

"Ah, that's how me and Melinda knew. You just feel it," he smiles. "Here, Bud. I put pickles in a little cup so she has them if she wants."

I stand up from the booth and stretch for a moment before walking to the counter. I pull out my wallet and look at him.

He shakes his head. "On the house, Bud. I know how hard it is."

"No, I can't not pay, man," I say, pulling out a $5. "Really, we got money,"

"Not what I'm worried about,"

I decide I'm too tired to argue and I put the money in the tip jar. "Really, man, thank you so much. You've been great,"

"Don't mention it. I know how hard it is to deal with a pregnancy. It's hard on them, but it's hard on us, too,"

I smile and nod. I have to get back to Vi before she kills me. "I'll probably be back soon, I'll see ya later,"

"Bye, Buddy. See you soon." George waves as I walk out the door.

I almost run down the street and back into our building. Up the elevator and back to nice old apartment 402.

I unlock the door and open it, seeing Vi on the couch crying.

Oh God not again. She was already emotional before the pregnancy, but now she's 10 times worse.

I set the food down on the coffee table and sit next to her. "What's wrong, baby?"

"I just... I love you so much!"

Another one of these?

"I know, doll,"

"And I just never want to be away from you!"

Same reason as last week.

"I know, doll,"

"You're just so nice and cute and you love me and you're good in bed!" She throws herself around me, hugging tightly. "I'm just so lucky!"

I gently wrap my arms around her and pat her back. "I love you,"

Well, atleast she isn't mad at me anymore.

"You're my soulmate!" She leans back and wipes her tears with the back of her sleeve.

"We've talked about this before, baby," I say, rubbing her back. "I think so too,"

She suddenly perks up. "My sandwich!" She grins as she gets up and goes into the kitchen, returning with a jar of peanut butter and a butter knife.

Oh no. Not again.

Violet unwraps the sandwich on the coffee table and opens it up, taking a large scoop of peanut butter and smearing it ontop of the turkey.

I grit my teeth as I watch the horrible abomination unfold.

"Wait!" She gasps. "Where are my pickles?"

I point to the little souffle cup. "In there in case you changed your mind."

"It's perfect!" She smiles. She opens the cup and dips a slice into the peanut butter.

Well...I guess I have to buy my own peanut butter unless I want to eat it pickle flavored.

I look away as she starts to absolutely devour the horrible combination of food she's chosen.

God, am I happy men don't get pregnant. It sounds like a living hell.

"Buddy?" She asks, swallowing.

"Yes?"

"Do you still find me attractive, even though I'm fat and ugly now?"

I feel like there is no way I can possibly come out of this without her being mad.

I decide to take the easy way, the way that will make her less mad.

"Of course I do, doll. But you ain't fat and ugly,"

"I've gained 20 pounds! My face is always greasy and so is my hair! I have stretch marks!"

"Vi, baby, you're pregnant. That's all normal,"

"Yeah well I hate it. I hate it."

"Doll, think about the baby that's in there! When he comes I'm sure it'll be worth it,"

She furrows her eyebrows. "Oh so it's a boy? How would you possibly know?"

I stifle an eyeroll. "I'm willing my sperm to be XY chromosomes."

She smiles for a moment. "Don't think that's how it works, but okay,"

"You said last night that you had the feeling that it was a boy,"

"Well maybe I still do," she sets down the remaining half of the sandwich. "Maybe I have the feeling that you don't think I'm hot anymore,"

"Oh hush, Vi," I tuck a stray curl behind her ear. "You're always gonna be smokin' hot t'me."

She smiles and picks up the rest of the sandwich. "Oh did you want a bite?"

I try not to gag as I shake my head. "Nah, I'm good, thanks,"

Her green eyes narrow. "You don't want it because you think I'm disgusting!"

"In my defense, baby, most people do not want turkey pickle peanut butter."

Frowning, she nods. "You're probably right, but it's exactly what I've been craving."

"Pregnancy is weird, babe."

"I understand if you need to leave to vomit."

I shake my head. "It's disgusting but you're still my girl and you always will be my girl. I love you, even if you eat turkey and peanut butter and even if you wake me up every night to get you food. Like you said, this is sort of my fault. If I never came then you wouldn't be pregnant,"

"We've always wanted kids, anyway. I just didn't think pregnancy would be this hard. Back in high school, I didn't get far enough along to fully get the experience," she wipes her hands on her nightgown. "You know I don't mean what I say when I'm all hormonal and angry,"

I pat her back lightly. "I know,"

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be."