Chapter 8

8

That Evening Dave read the online article, and shifted in his chair. He was clutching the tablet in one hand and the other hand supporting the bridge of his nose.

IMMORAL TANDEM. LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.  

The great Millionaire, businessman Don Strider hit off and pushed for good into a slump this time. Recently, he was allegedly involved on an affair with his secretary. The secretary pressed criminal charges against her employer, slash lover. She was found the other day, in the corner of the company parking lot supporting a big blue bruised, swollen ankle, and perhaps broken ribs too. The concern citizen who saw her immediately took her in to be treated in the hospital.

In the hospital, she reviled that Don assaulted her. The next day the woman announced that she would agree to drop the charges against Don. In return Mr. Strider would pay her fifty million pesos.   

In the other hand, the son must have really inherited his genes. Violence, and money can destroy a person.

Dave Strider, the eighteen years old teen was involved into a street fight. It was a bloody fist fight, ten against two. But no matter how out number they we’re he handled the fight like a pro. The kid was basically unstoppable. A notorious trouble maker—According to my source the misguided teen spends awfully many times in the local police station under detain, rather than attending school.

This doesn’t make any sense! Dave complained in annoyance.

The scandalous images of his socialite adventures were plastered on the mobile device. His insides twisted a notch. It bothered him, who wouldn’t, if you had some crazy stalker documenting your every single action.

He was never like his father! Over his dead body! Dave yelled, venomously into no one in particular.

Who dare made this bunch of bullshit? He was again, never like his father. He loathed him enough to wish him dead.

He can’t even stand breathing the same air as him. His father is a dictator, who wanted him to attended business school but instead he’d enroll himself into art school. In fact, he’ll do entirely anything beyond imaginably opposite his overbearing father was, and wants him to be. 

Dave throws the tablet on his king size bed and jumped beside it face down first. He gave the offending gadget a sharp look. He studied the article closely. This photo was posted by a girl named Bella.

His eyebrows went up in confusion. Bella. He read it once more. The name doesn’t ring a thing on him. What have he done to deserved this kind of cruelty? Why write rubbish articles about him?

He closed his eyes for a brief second. Just letting the information sinks in, his bare chest heaving out an anxious groan. Who is this person? What is she trying exploit from this act?

He was nothing like his father! He exclaimed.

The hours slip off so slowly, he throws the covers, and stands up. His head bangs furiously that he could hear the pounding in both sides of his ears. Dave gave up all the hopes of getting a goodnight sleep moments ago. Besides, the night is young. He should go out, or else he’d gone completely nuts.

Dave had been missing in action for far too long. Like a wild animal, he wanted nothing but to be set free in the open, far away from its enclosure. He was sickened being contained inside the house; the four corners of his bedroom mocked him to oblivion.

Driving to the pub, Dave wanted to think out a constructive action, but he couldn’t come up with anything.

At the pub, he sat down at the bar, together with his pals. Drinking without letting his taste buds savor the alcohol. He swallowed it, glass after glass of vodka. He was listening, but trying not to catch the drifts of conversation that flowed by at their table. He was too self-absorbed in his own bubble.

It was two at the morning, yet the place is still crowded with people just like him, who never went home if there is still someplace else he can go. Home is where everything entirely comes to an end, no more loud music, no noisy people; no lights would go on and on, it’s just you all alone and the harsh solid truth. 

Dave drained his drink and threw some crispy bills down the table. “Get us more drinks!”  He muttered to Toby, the bartender.

Thirty minutes and five bottles of vodka later, Dave slid off his stool and walked through the men’s comfort room. His legs wobbled as he made his way through the crowded floor. His head spun like a whirlpool. Dave can barely walk; he shoved everyone out of his way. Simultaneously, echoes of protest can be heard but he ignored them, too busy moving forward, shoving off person after person.

He stopped at the middle of the hallway, his hands on either side of the wall leaning for support. At the corner of his eyes, he saw a tall bulky man shoved the waitress at the far corner. His legs started to move on its own accord, following the bulky man in the hidden and secluded corner of the hallway.

In the shadow, he straightened his shoulder bracing himself. As he catch a few drawn of their conversation.

Nothing can prepare him on what he’ll found out next.

He stood there unable to move, paralyzed on the spot. Recognition flashed through his face, as if someone just drenched him wet with a bucket of ice. He was disgusted on what he saw.

His father was the bulky man, and he was in the middle of doing his goddamn deed.

God, help him! Please just let his father catch STD for all his despicable behavior!

His foul mood worsened by the second, just when his mind would wonder about the article. Driven with convulsed rage, he’d oath to find the faceless corrupt, and prove everyone wrong.