Eden was helpless. The only thing she had wished to avoid had now crawled it’s way to her and in a most unexpected fashion as well. Could she refuse? No.

Besides, Carol and Maggie were practically begging her to come with and she could just not help it when she threw the blankets off her form.

“Alright.” She nodded. “A moment please.” She pulled open her damp bun and began to braid it as quick as her fingers could.

“Oh, thank you.” Both the girls cried. “Thank you so much.”

***

The green slopes that surrounded the Ashleyton was tainted now and there with young, rich apple trees that had vibrant red fruits hanging it’s spread out arms, tempting every passerby with it’s lush sweet smell.

The driveway curved down the way to the huge mansion like a huge, sordid snake widening around the front statue of Ashleyton, like a delta, merging into the manor’s gate.

They all stood there, the servants of Ashleyton, in a proper file for the reception of their beloved Master, Lord Stephen Adelwood.

Maids were on the left, footmen on the right.

Females a little more apprehensive. Males a little more alert.

The old mayor, Mr. Harvey, was here to welcome his Excellency.

Eden, more uneasy than other stood at the back most of the file, fretful like she had never been. It felt humiliating, standing at the point of the driveway where a month ago, both she and the lord of this manor had stepped down, from the same coach, with a level status only to be bifurcated on two separate ways. She was allotted disgrace while he was gifted endorsements.

But who was the real criminal?

Just then, a surge in murmuring and gossip made her look up at the vista of the graveled lane and she saw it. Coaches. Arriving like chariots of lords itself.

And practically, it was indeed so.

She took a step more rear without realizing it when Maggie took hold of her wrist and tilted her mouth towards her. “Master Adelwood won’t bite you so just stop trying to run away. You won’t find a sweeter man than him across the kingdom. And you would be lucky if he even notices you out of all us.”

“I am not running away.” The other part was left without a comment.

Maggie gave her an impossible look. “Your voice is quivering.” And her hand glided down from Eden’s wrist to her shivering fingers. “Eden, what’s wrong? Are you unwell?”

“No.” Eden swallowed as the crunch of gravel implied the nearness of the coaches. “Just restless.”

Restless. Breathless. Hopeless.

“I am sorry I disturbed.” Maggie spoke softly.

And with that, the first coach from the process stopped in the mid of the lane followed by two guard like men jumping off the steer.

And then what was far came near.

The flap opened and stepped down a very striking Lord Adelwood in his well tailored grey suit, with a gorgeous smile esteeming his face.

And he had deep dimples in his smile.

Several breathings stopped as those splendid green eyes roamed at the crowd of servants in approval. The glorious smile widened as his Lordship’s eyes met with those of the Mayor. The old man stepped forth with an extended hand which was shook respectably as he showered the young lord with welcome greetings.

When that was committed, the lord turned around and extended his hand into the mysterious inside of the coach. A petite, feminine hand was proffered into his palm and was escorted  down a lovely little woman with the benefit of, perhaps, the most beautiful face Eden had ever seen.

The lady with a smile as perfect as that of Lord Adelwood extended her hand to the mayor who bowed down in front of her on a full hip swing.

“Mr. Harvey.” Lord Adelwood began. “Let me introduce to you Lady Christiana Ivy, my childhood friend from London. Lady Ivy, Mr. Derek Harvey, our most wise Mayor from the state.”

“A pleasure, Sir.” Was the delicate reply.

Several other high born gentlemen, lords and rakes stepped down from the other coaches as Lord Adelwood made them all familiarized with the Mayor and at last, he came back and stood by Lady Ivy and his noble smile returned to its earlier depth.

He offered her his arm and the lady slipped her fine fingers in the crook of his elbow granting him a faint, flattering smile.

“Shall we?” he inquired, tilting his head a little.

“Sure.”

And just that much of the subtle, elusive performance, just that much of the shared look and blushing smile that was exchanged between the Lord Stephen Adelwood and Lady Christiana Ivy, her holding his hand and his approving it, for some reason, for some mystery gave Eden a forceful, cruel jolt in Eden’s chest.

In her heart.

She didn’t remove her eyes from him cause she couldn’t.

He suddenly looked up, straight to where she was, upright into her eyes.

His smile changed. Warm to cold. Gentle to brutal.

The same atrocious light glowered his eyes that she had witnessed a month ago.

She lowered her gaze, the same fearfulness.

As if, Lady Ivy was a reminder for her. Of the level of his standard. Of what Eden was_ ugly.

And what she could never be_ his wife.

_______________________

You know what, I hate this man !!!