Chapter Three

I was running again; but I was no longer in the darkened hall. Instead, I was in a hospital. The hospital was clearly not one that was kept up to date. It was dim lighted; pieces of ceiling was on the floor. The whole place had  an aroma of sadness. I also noticed that there were only two doors in the entire building.

        When I come to the first one I slow until I'm completely still. On the door is the word I hate most in the world, 'CANCER'. This room was specifically for cancer treatment. Taking a ragged breath, I peer into the room through the small window. Laying on the bed is my grandfather. Everything about him is thin. His hair was no longer the thick, dark mane I saw all my childhood. It was thinned down to patches of gray. His skin looked as if he was wrapped in plastic. The hot tears burned their way down my red cheeks. Just to the right of his head was a heart monitor. The line was flat.

        I took off running. I don't know where I was heading. I just let my feet lead me. I couldn't think of anything. His body looked so wore out... At some point without my realization, I had reached a second door. On it was a phrase that haunted me daily. 'OVERDOSE' My breath hitched. On the bed was my beautiful cousin. Blonde, blue eyes, talented. She's my age and we grew up together. She's my best friend; not just some relative I avoid at reunions. She's known me my entire life. Or did. I fell to the ground outside of her room.

        This is all too much. When the hole below me opened up, I didn't grasp the sides and pull myself up. When the dark figure called out to me, I fell into it's cold embrace with open arms.

*******************************************************************************************

        I wake up in tears. Crap, that was hard. Collecting myself I head out into the kitchen. Dad is leaning against the counter.

        "Wow. It's alive."

        "Good morning to you too." I quiver at the smell of food attacking my nostrils.

        "Grab some breakfast; we're heading out soon."

        "Not hungry."

        "Fine, get in the car."

        Turns out my sister had said something about clothes and all of the sudden Dad wants to go shopping for her. He has me pick out some clothes for her and while he goes to pay I wander out of the store over to Hot Topic. No sooner than I walk in there was a familiar face. Quickly turning around I flee from the store. Cute guy from school works here. Good to know. Avoid Hot Topic for a while... Dad sees me and calls out,

        'Hope you aren't planning on asking for money. You're not getting anything." To avoid a fight I just shake my head and continue walking.

        Authors Note: okay sorry, this is probably going to be the absolute shortest chapter in this story I swear. I wrote this really late at night when I couldn't concentrate on anything else and I can't think of anything that would properly go with it so this is what you get. I'm sorry. Please don't hate me. Leave your votes and comments please. I love seeing reactions to my stories so please give me feedback. I have had this part written for a long time and I've been having some difficulties convincing myself to upload it but I'm just really hoping for a good reaction. Sorry again for the wait.

xoxox Mikayla