Chapter Two

With my head down I scurry to my next class as soon as I can. After Basic Music I have Principles of Bio-medical Sciences. Sounds intimidating, doesn't it? But, I really want to be a forensic anthropologist when I get older. I've actually already picked out a graduate college to go to. I understand how completely insane that sounds but I was raised on the foundations that grades are everything. This course is weighted, so I can pay so much money and it can be taken as college credit as well as high school credit. My  parents have been pushing my future down my throat since I was little so this was perfect all the way around. Don't get me wrong, it's not like they are choosing my future for me- they're just making sure that I make it the best possible. Which can get to be a bit overwhelming.

        I find the class on the second floor on the other side of the building. Sadly, it was quite a walk away. I take a seat in the back near a wall. The teacher, a young looking woman with a dark bob and a passion for science, explains the basic outline for the course of the next couple of months. We will be given a death and we have to work to figure out what happened. We will be required to take act as different professions in different aspects of an investigation, as well as determine manner and cause of death. I find myself getting more and more excited as the class continues. I can't wait until we get to be knee deep in the case and I hope that I will be able to learn a lot and get jump started on my way to a forensic anthropologist. 

        Exiting the classroom, with my head down, I bump into someone in the hall. "You know, we have got to stop meeting like this." I look up to see the same face as my rescuer from my first class.

        "Oh, um, I'm sorry. I really have a habit of looking down. I'll try not to let it happen again. Sorry." I could feel my face getting redder the longer I talked. Why must I ramble when I'm nervous?

        "No need to apologize; I completely understand. I'm the same way. You want to hide, but," the mysterious stranger lowered his mouth to my ear and whispered, "it's too late. I see you." With that, he turned around and left. What just happened there? I don't know what to do with myself. I probably look like an idiot because I'm just standing in the middle of the hallway. Finally being pushed back into reality I go to find my next class. American Government; yuck.

        After third block and lunch, which ended up taking place during third block and I sat in a window sill the entire time, I head to English. I love to read for pleasure. I've always had my nose in a book. But when I am forced to read for school I tend to lose interest in the assignment and not do it. I really hope that I will be able to remain focused this year. I can't afford any grade slips. I don't know who would kill me first if that happened- me,or my parents.

        I eventually get to leave school and go home. I don't have any homework because it was only the first day of school so I just breakout YouTube and blast some Sleeping With Sirens. They're great. I like Do It Now, Remember It Later even though it's a little older.

        During my little dance session in the kitchen I turn just right and see a note from my dad sticky noted to the fridge.

'Dear Girls,

           I hope that you both had pleasant days at school. I wish I could be there to hear all about it but, unfortunately, i have to stay at work late and catch up on paperwork. You know how crazy things can get here.

        Ry: please leave your sister alone. I swear, if I get one more call from her complaining I will ground you both.

                                                                Daddy'

        Figures. He complains because I try and tell him that she refuses to listen. How am I supposed to let you know?? I leave the note for Ry when she gets home in an hour and a half and decide to hop in the shower. I'm freaking drained.

        For some unknown reason the shower is always where I think best. So I let my mind wonder to the mysterious guy today. I don't know why he said what he did after Bio Med. I don't want to tell myself that he was flirting because that would just be getting my hopes up. No guy with even a decent face would ever be attracted to me. They never have been before.

        Fatso. I gasp. The memory suddenly takes over my entire body. I fall quickly to the floor of the shower as my mind is transported through time back to sixth grade. This guy that everyone hated sat next to me in class. When I was young I was determined to find at least one good thing in every person. As I was trying to learn more about him and asking questions about him he looked me dead in the eye and asked, "Why do you care? It's not like you like me. And even if you did, there's no way I'd go out with a fatso such as yourself." It destroyed me. My response was a simple, "I just wanted to prove people wrong." and I never talked to him again.

        His words still burn in the front of my brain. His, my father's, a lot of people's words actually. I can't block them out. I go numb a little when I'm around people but, when I'm alone and at night I get hit with a tsunami of everything I want to ignore.

        I get out of the shower and step onto the scale. I wince and put it up. Much too high. We must do something about that. Much to high. I drag my feet and curl up in bed. Wishing I could escape my mind.

Author's Note: OK, a few things.

1)If you don't know, forensic anthropology is the application of the science of anthropology in a legal setting where victim remains are mostly in the advanced stages of decomposition.

2) yes I did use a quote from If I Stay. No i have not seen it yet, I want to. please do not leave any spoilers.

3)what are your thoughts? what do you think is going on with the main character?

Please leave your comments below and let me know your opinions. I love to hear from the readers. It just makes my day. I love you guys!

xoxox Mikayla