Stiles spun around and snapped, "What?!"

The Sheriff glared, making Stiles reevaluate the situation. His heart broke at the sight of his daughter who was on the verge of tears.

"You know what Marissa? I'm going to spend the day with my daughter. Because she deserves it. So if you feel like changing your mind, feel free to give me a call. If not, I don't care."

Stiles quickly hung up and shoved the phone in his back pocket. He reached over and gently pulled Katie out of his dad's arms.

"Hey, kiddo. I'm sorry," Stiles whispered in her ear. He used his thumb to wipe away a stray tear from Katie's face.

"Why were you yelling at Mommy?"

Stiles sighed, "I shouldn't have been yelling, I'm sorry. That wasn't very nice. I was mad with Mommy because she promised to see you, but now she can't."

Seeing a look of panic on Katie's face, Stiles quickly added, "It's not your fault, sweety. Mommy is....she's trying."

Katie sniffed, "When is Mr. Derek coming back? He wants to spend time with me, right?"

Stiles turned a little red and looked at his father who shrugged in response.

Later that day Stiles found himself dialing Derek's number. He sat on the edge of his bed for a few moments as the phone rang, his eyes darting around the room, but breathed a sigh relief when Derek picked up.

"Yeah?" Derek asked.

"Hey, it's Stiles. I know this is going to sound weird, but Katie was wondering if you wanted to come over for dinner tonight."

There was a moment of silence.

"Katie was wondering?"

Stiles blushed, "Yes. She's a little upset right now. Her mom was supposed to spend the day with her, but she decided to go on a road trip with some friends instead."

There was a sharp intake of breath from Derek's end of the phone.

"Listen, man, I get it. I'm a single dad asking you to spend time with my six-year-old. It's fine. No hard feelings."

There was a moment of silence before Derek responded, "I'd love to. No offense, but your ex-wife fucking sucks."

Stiles laughed, "None taken. I'll see you at 7?

They spent a few more minutes exchanging details before eventually hanging up.

Later that evening, Stiles was preparing spaghetti and sauce while Katie stood on a stool adjacent to him, staring at the pot of broccoli she had deemed herself queen of.

If a pot of broccoli could quiver at a six-year-old's stare, this pot would.

When the doorbell rang Katie quickly scaled down the stool and followed her grandpa to the door. When he opened it revealing Derek, Katie gasped and grinned.

"Mr. Derek!" her attention wavered to the Tupperware he was holding and she made a grab for it, "What's that?" She asked.

"Hey ladybug, what did I say about grabbing things that aren't yours?"

Katie frowned, her cheeks turning red. "I'm sorry."

Derek bent down to Katie's level and handed her the Tupperware. "I made some brownies for you and your dad. Is that ok?"

Katie interrupted the silence with a squeal, "I made dinner all by myself!" she proclaimed.

Derek gasped and followed her to the kitchen where Stiles and the Sheriff were plating the food, "You did?"