Chapter 2

Winger's P.O.V

What were they doing here? I know Magnus wants us gone, but why is his army at the Roost? To tell us to leave? To force us? To kill us? No. It wasn't any of those. Why did they have torches? Because they wanted to light the Roost on fire. We couldn't do anything to stop it. Summer was out of water. She had used it all on training this morning. The smoke rose into the sky as I watched the only home I ever knew burn to the ground. As if that wasn't enough, they started hurling boulders at the last remaining pieces of the Roost. They made sure none of it was left standing. We did try to fight back, but we feared him. The head soldier. A brutal assassin. We flew away from our destroyed home, I only looked back once. He was in the middle of all the madness. Hood stared up at me, his entire face covered by his black mask. His eyes flickered red through the mask. I screamed.

"Winger! Are you ok bro?" Dak was asking me.

"Huh? Oh yeah, I'm ok." I answered.

"Thinking about the Roost again?" He guessed.

"Yeah, you're right." I said.

"Wing, it's been two weeks. You need to let it go."

"I know, it's just hard."

"It's hard for all of us. You think I enjoy hiding out in this underground fort? Don't get me wrong, it's pretty cool, but I would rather be in a Roost like our old one."

It's been 3 weeks since Magnus became chief. Or King, should I say. He literally had himself a palace built by the towns people, who were now slaves. After the Roost was destroyed, we had to relocate. We now stay underground in a base we call "The Bunker". Magnus and his army know we are still here in Huttsgalor, but he won't be able to find us so easily this time.

"Does anyone have the silk cloth? I can't find it anywhere." Leyla said as she walked into the room.

"I think I saw it on the small shelf. Third row on the right." Dak told her.

"Thanks Dak. I need it for Cutter's bandage. He hurt himself in battle again." Leyla said.

"I'm perfectly fine! Just a little scrape!" Cutter yelled from a different room.

"Is it really just a scrape?" I asked.

"Is it ever?" Leyla replied.

"Also, we need about four bags of pimpaberries, a bag of rocks for Burple, and three large logs of wood. Think you guys can get them?" Leyla asked.

"I'm supposed to train with Aggro in five minutes, maybe after tha-"

"I can get them." I cut Dak off.

"You sure you can handle it on your own, Wing?" He asked me.

"I'm sure. Good luck with your training." I said. I walked to the hidden hole in the wall and flew out of the Bunker into the woods. Now where can I find those materials?

Axel's P.O.V

"You heard me! Fetch me my snack! And you better not drop my hot drink!" Magnus yelled.

"Uncle, I do everything for you. Can't I at least have a small break? I am related to the king and chief, after all." I said.

"Just because you are my nephew doesn't mean you get special treatment. You are a slave, just like everyone else. And no, YOU MAY NOT HAVE A BREAK! Now go get me my snack!!" My crude uncle screamed at me.

I sighed in defeat and left to the kitchen. Magnus was always a jerk, but since he became "king" he has been down right evil. And at 8:00 every night he goes to the basement to do something, but he never lets anyone see what's down there. I grabbed the snack tray off the marble counter and brought it to Magnus.

"Finally, took you long enough." He complained.

"I was only five min-"

"Silence!" He yelled.

"Now get out, I have important things to do." He said.

It was 8:00 pm. He was going to the basement to do Heaven knows what. I left the throne room, a guard stopping me and giving me a list of chores on the way out. Would there ever be an end to this suffering? Maybe I had to create the end myself. A plan started forming in my mind. I would break out of Finke palace tonight.

Aggro's P.O.V

Dak threw the target up toward the ceiling, and I fire blasted that thing all the way across the room.

"Amazing job Aggro! You're getting so much stronger!" Dak congratulated me.

"Thanks! Alright Sizzle, your turn." I said to the slobber smelter.

"But I normally train with Cutter." He said.

"I realize that, but Cutter's injured right now. Maybe he'll be able to train tomorrow." I reassured him.

"Ok then. Here I go." He shot acid toward a soldier dummy. The fabric melted right off, then the wood inside started melting.

"Wow! You could probably melt a guard's armor with a blast like that!" Dak said to Sizzle.

"Nah. The armor is made of belzium, remember? That's the strongest materiel there is." I reminded him.

"Oh. Right." Dak said.

"Hey, shouldn't Winger be back by now?" He asked.

"I didn't know he left." I said.

"He went on a materiel run. Hopefully he didn't run into any guards. Or... him."

"You mean Hood?" I asked. A panicked look crossed Dak's face as he nodded. Sizzle looked confused.

"Who's Hood?" He wondered outloud.

"Well, no one knows his real name, not even Magnus. Everybody just calls him Hood because he never takes off his face covering hood. He is Magnus's favorite guard, but he is also an assassin. He will not hesitate to kill us if Magnus tells him to. The only thing keeping us alive is Magnus's orders to capture us, and not kill us." Dak explained. Sizzle hid under me, obviously scared.

"Let's just hope Winger is alright." I said.

Axel's P.O.V

It was now or never.

"Can you let me outside? Magnus told me to trim the hedges." I told the guard.

"The hedges were trimmed yesterday, you filthy scumbag." The guard snapped.

"With all do respect my good sir, it's the king's orders. I think I ought to follow them." I said, trying to persuade the guard into letting me out.

"Fine." He said. "But I'm coming with you to make sure you don't get any ideas."

Losing him was easier than I thought.

"I just saw a dragon!" I exclaimed.

"Where?!" The guard asked, wanting to capture if for Magnus.

"Behind those trees!" I pointed to a thicket of crimson pine.

"Stay here, I'll be right back." Said the guard as he ran toward the trees. But I did not stay, nor did I actually see a dragon.

"Hehe. Gullible." I whispered to myself as I bolted toward the one place I knew I would be safe.

I paused and looked behind me. No one in sight. I continued to run, but when I got to my destination, I immediately felt worry. Because it wasn't there. The Roost was gone.