Chapter Fifteen

Start bij het begin

Rider watched her for a moment and then glared down at the ground and mess below them. She leaned over to clean it when he pushed her hand away.

“For some reason, since I met him I have wanted to protect him. If I stay like this forever it would be worth it to save your son. He is just a boy and I feel like it is my duty to help him. You want to insult me now?”

“No.” He shortly replied, “I don’t. I just can’t watch you get hurt. A lot of wolves throughout history, have tried this and they have failed.”

He was hiding something. She could smell it on him. As her abilities grew she found reading humans was more and more easy. Chemicals would come off with different emotions. While he normal had a lustful chemical oozing from his skin while around her he also let off different scents like anger or fear. This one definitely indicated to her he was lying.

She decided she would push him a little further.

“How many throughout history?”

“Dozens! You aren’t the first to be forcefully turned or stray from the path. It’s not in the…” And it was there he stopped when he realized she was onto him, “I need to take out the trash.”

Rider’s legs were a great deal longer than Frankie’s but she managed to keep up as he rushed out the back door. The way the home was angled, the wind was harsh but not so much that she couldn’t see his face or hear his voice under the rapidly rushing snow from the sky and harsh winds.

This storm was the first of many. Whether it was Him coming for her or the wolves had some magical way of making everything cold and unpleasant… dead even, Frankie knew this wasn’t a normal fall snow for her part of the world. Each cold smack to her exposed face and hair turning to ice under the below zero temperature indicated that clearly.

“What do you know, Rider?”

“I won’t say and you can’t make me.” He tried to get through but Frankie had regained her beast inside and pushed him back into the wall. The little light above them began to rock back and forth from the blow as he then struggled under her superhuman grasp. Frankie held on tightly to his collar as she pushed him even higher up than he’d been with his own height, “Stop this, Francesca!”

“I will not! You know something and you will tell me, Devereaux.”

“No one has ever done it. Not in thousands of years has the myth been accomplished and it’s just that; a myth! Even in theory it’s so dangerous I would be willing to keep it hidden at the expense of my son never leading a normal life. Doesn’t that open your eyes? No one can do this!” He pushed her away and choked slightly stumbling further away from the house in the snow. Frankie continued towards him no longer willing to give up on this dream she’d though she had made up.

“I am not just anyone, Rider. I have seen things no one in this world has ever seen. I have been places you literally could not dream up in a million years. There is something special about your son. I have to protect him. I can’t explain it but whatever needs to be done to save him I can do!” She pushed him again until he was now back against his red pickup truck, “I have lived my entire life in the shadows of others. I won’t do that again as the wife of some cocky mutt. I will save your son and I will save myself and you are going to help me.”

Rider was silent as he watched her eyes. They were glowing the green of their eyes like little lamps in her head. She was desperate. Hunter was an alpha and a rare one. She was clinging to his alluring nature and allowing herself to be part of a pack he couldn’t have until he hit puberty. It was refreshing and yet saddening all at once. As a pack member she would never be in control of herself or thoughts again. Hunter would forever have an obligation to those under him to protect and lead while Frankie would serve like slave forever.