Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

When Frankie woke up she was surrounded by a series of familiar faces. Hunter was directly above her with the look of relief spread over him as her eyes flickered open. Rider ran in and seemed satisfied she had awoken from her deep slumber followed closely by Charlie. It took a moment for her mind to formulate words and thoughts but when she had, Frankie sat up and felt the long overdue hunger hit her again.

The beast inside of her was back. Being inside of her world had been so refreshing. She didn’t want to go back to this. She was also afraid of what her dream or world had meant. Charlie seemed like her normal self. It was as if she had not been there at all. Had she finally lost her mind?

“Water!” Her scratchy, dry voice called out. Hunter jumped from the bed and brought her a large glass full of cold water. She was shaken by the sound of a harsh wind hitting the little cabin when she noticed, out the dark window, that another blizzard had hit the small Colorado mountain town.

“Are you ok?” Rider asked checking her eyes and feeling her forehead. She nodded in reply once and continued to chug the water down.

“I am fine. What happened?”

“You passed out!” Charlie shouted. Frankie tilted her head realizing the girl would not remember what had happened, not unless she had accessed the dark parts of her mind where He had hidden her for her task. It didn’t even connect with the werewolves, this thing. He wanted her for so much more. He had simply toyed with her. This was his first appearance to her as well. It was like the monster was just saying hello.

“What do you mean, I passed out?” Frankie tried to stand but her legs were weak. It was way past her feeding time and Rider could see that. He did his best to support her so that they could get her into the dining room where she could smell food cooking.

“You walked in and passed out.” Hunter commented trying his best to help her as well. Frankie felt it was cute his attempt to assist.

She stood up and was guided into the dining room to the head spot at the table. Rider delivered her a plate and sat next to her while Charlie leaned against the door frame with her arms crossed over her chest. It looked like it had been days since she went out and so Charlie had plenty of time to rationalize anything she may have seen.

“Hey Hunter, why don’t you and Charlie go pick out a movie.”

Charlie nodded her head once and guided the boy into the room away from the two of them. Frankie began to eat without grace while Rider watched her carefully. Her body had not taken anything in in nearly a week. He wasn’t sure how a new wolf could have survived hunger for so long and yet what he was coming to realize was she was no regular wolf.

“A bride, huh?” He asked her as he sat back. Frankie shrugged and slurped up some pasta hidden under the vegetable mass.

“I guess so.”

“That’s dangerous, Frankie. You are in way over your head with this notion of becoming freed from this curse.”

While her hunger was overwhelming, the anger that surged through her was worse. Luckily the other two had moved into a far side of the cabin because she threw the plate down and stood up.

“Listen, I didn’t come here to get lectured by you. I could care less about my own ass. It’s your son I am trying to save!”

When the words left her mouth she was shocked by the admission. She didn’t realize being this mythological creature wasn’t as much a burden on her as it was to the small child she grew increasingly more concerned about.