—————————————————————

Jane:

It comforted me that Owen was still able to get away from his house if he needed. And the butterflies went wild in my stomach thinking about him wanting to be closer to me. But at the same time it was hilarious that he choose to stay in my room to do that.

I started to tell him about my trip over and what the whole orientation was like. The other end of the phone was silent for a while. "Owen?" No response. "Goodnight your majesty." I whisper, and ended the call.

Once I got under the covers and was about to flick off the lights, there was a knock on my door. I groaned and got up to answer it. At this point, I was just exhausted and didn't care what I looked like. I was in my favorite hoodie and pajama shorts. My hair was tossed up in a messy bun and my face was bare.

"Jack?" The face of my new neighbor was on the other side of the door. The neighbor who had helped me unpack, my first new friend in a way.

"Surprise!" He cheered. "Oh no! I'm sorry! Did I wake you up?" He asked, concerned.

"Oh no it's fine." I chuckled. "I was just in the phone with my best friend back home."

"Oh that's cool. Miss her already?" He asked, stepping past me and into my room. I didn't know Jack that well so this was already making me slightly uncomfortable.

"It's a guy actually and yeah I miss him a lot." I said, staying on the other side of the room.

"Okay, that's nice. Are you guys like together?" He asked, already looking disappointed.

"No, just friends." I said, pushing down the knot in my throat.

"That's great!" He said looking hopeful. I creased my eyebrows.

"And why's that?" I asked.

"Cause there would be no one to stop me from asking you out." He said smiling. "Look, I know we just met and all but I'd really like to get to know you better."

I thought for a while. I hardly knew this guy at all. But I needed new friends. I was in college now. Owen was never going to notice me in that way, so why did I feel like something was pulling me back? Yes, I loved Owen with my whole heart. But I wasn't giving myself a fair chance to find someone who might love me back.

So with every beat of my heart screaming at me not to I said words that I'd been waiting to say to someone else for as long as I could remember. "I'd love to go out with you."

—————————————————————

Owen:

I woke up the next morning feeling much better then I had last night. Talking to Jane was much needed and I felt like she wasn't as far away anymore. I grabbed my phone to try and sneak out before her parents noticed I was here.

There was one text on it from Jane at one in the morning. When you wake up call me. Quickly! It's important! It read.

I jumped out of the window and ran to my car. Once I got in I immediately called Jane.

"OWEN! Took you long enough!" She screamed.

"Hey! Sorry I slept in a bit. What was so important you needed to tell me?" I asked concerned.

"You're never going to believe what happened after we talked last night!" She yelled.

"What happened?"

"My neighbor, Jack, the guy I told you about remember?"

"Yeah the one who helped you unpack right?"

"Right. Well anyway, he stopped by and he asked me out!"

"He what?" I yelled into the phone. My hand was shaking and my head was getting lighter and lighter.

"He asked me out Owen!"

"W-What did you say?" I stuttered, trying to catch my breath.

"I know it's crazy and I know I don't even know the dude but I said yes!" She yelled.

I dropped the phone, unable to control myself any longer. It felt like my world was being ripped apart. My chest burned with jealousy. I was tempted to start the car and drive down and find this Jack and tell him to get his hands off of my girl.

But I couldn't. Because she wasn't. She never has been, and never will be, my Jane.

—————————————————————

Jane:

There was a loud thump on the other end.

"Owen? Owen are you still there?" There was more shuffling on the other end.

"Y-Yeah, yeah I'm here." He stuttered out.

"Is everything okay?" I asked.

"Yes I'm all good." He chuckled. "Just late for school. That's great! I'm so glad you're already making friends. I wanna meet this jack guy okay?" He asked, his voice kept cracking. He was probably nervous for his first day.

I was disappointed. A part of me secretly wanted him to be mad. I wanted him to be jealous and tell me that I'm supposed to be with him. Not Jack.

"Yeah it is great. I'm really looking forward in it." I sighed. "Well I'll let you get to class. Don't be nervous okay? You're gonna do great. They're gonna love you Owen Presley." And that was true. How could someone not love him? It was impossible.

He chuckled. "I'll try. Bye shortie. Have a good first day." He said.

"You too, your majesty. Miss you." I said, my eyes were filling up with tears again.

"Miss you more." He said. "Bye." And then the call ended. I was left feeling more empty than before.