"Why?" I asked.

He looked at me before looking away and then back at me. "Because..." He folded his hands on the table and looked at them. "Because apparently it looked as if I couldn't have cared less whether you were present or not. I know it's only gossip, tittle-tattle if you will, but my reputation in the glossy magazines means something when I support organizations that are against violence, abuse and rape," he said.

I understood his words. And I understood why it should appear as if he didn't do any of those things. No one knew anything about any girlfriend, so the hypothetical woman would probably be difficult not to treat well. Me? Except that he wanted to decide he didn't treat me badly. And I could say no to him.

My silence must have been too long.

"It's this Saturday," he said. "I can work out the clothing again, if you accept."

"Why can't 'we' have broken up?" I asked and made actual air quotes with my hands.

He looked at me. "Hypothetically, 'we' can have broken up," Alexander said.

"But?" I asked.

He looked briefly at his folded hands before looking at me again. "But even though I apparently seemed as if I didn't care about you, it didn't appear as if you hated me."

"But that doesn't mean we can't make a play to the galley."

He took a deep breath. "Christina, would you do me the honor of going with me again when I have to attend that event on Saturday?" He asked, nicely.

"Can I think about it?" I asked.

He looked away from my face and out the window. He had two window walls in his corner office. I could see out them both, he had to turn and then he had a view of the city from one window.

I leaned back in the chair. His office was as void of anything remotely homely as his living room. There were plain, sleek surfaces without anything. My office wasn't filled with crap, but I did have a picture of Mom and Dad, and one of me and Dad from my first day in Manhattan, when Dad helped me getting settled. And then I had a little plant in a pot which Trisha had given me when I was hired.

Alexander had nothing. Cold and cynical.

He looked at me again. "I would very much like to conjure the many rumors away, which are based on that I don't treat you fair." He said. "And I know you can say no to me, you have a free will, but I'd very much like to have another go at not appearing insensitive."

"Aren't you?" I wasn't the center of attention but I could talk. And it happened I said what I really thought, as right now. I wasn't some delicate little flower who was sitting quietly in the corner until someone came and told me what I could and couldn't do.

Alexander turned his gaze to my face. "No, I'm no insensitive." He bit me off.

I fought hard not to smile.

My effort at trying not to smile, created a tiny smile on his mouth.

"I am a very private person," Alexander said eventually. "And I am reserved."

"But?" I asked.

"But nothing," he said. "I would very much like for you to accompany me."

"Time again?"

"Saturday," he said. "Six o'clock." He said.

Did I have any plans? What would I gain from this? "What am I gaining from this?" I asked quietly. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't that I needed a reward for everything I did, but Alexander and I hadn't even talked, so I wasn't sure why I even did it.

Alexander looked at me as if I'd just stated the earth was flat. And that it, from his perspective, most definitely was round.

I could see why some saw him as reserved and insensitive. His blue eyes analyzed everything and he wasn't breaking our gaze, even though it was bordering upon being weird.

"I don't know," he said. "The clothes?"

That underwear from last time? Expensive. I'd googled it. More than a hundred dollars apiece.

Did I do it for underwear and a dress I'd never get to wear again?

"Will we talk this time, then?" I asked.

That got his undivided attention. "What?" he asked.

"Last time we didn't talk at all, and that makes you appear reserved and insensitive," I said.

He narrowed his eyes the slightest bit. "You are not one to tell me how to appear kind," he snapped.

"I wasn't aware that was what I did," I said and stood. "I'll think about it until tomorrow, then I'll email you." I said.

"Thank you," he almost growled.

I had my back to him. Deep breath. I walked to the door that led out of his office, pressed down the door handle and left the room.

In erotic novels, yes, I'd read them because I'd binged them a bit once, then I would most definitely had been across his desk with either his face between my legs or his penis deep within me. I was happy my life wasn't an erotic novel.

I went to the elevators, which was empty, before changing from heels to my ballerinas.