"Is there still time?" I asked, feeling a little defensive of Parker.

"Not much," Blake replied, distractedly, glancing at his watch. "I'll be back."

He wandered off. I moved to the window again to see whether Parker was coming. The clock ticking was the only sound my brain focused on. The sun was setting and very soon we would have to head downstairs and down the isle and Parker was still AWOL. I checked my phone, but Parker hadn't been online since yesterday and he hadn't replied to any of my texts.

Adrienne walked in, looking grim. "We should all head downstairs," she said, trying to smile.

We all did as we were told. The seats were filled with well dressed people, chattering to each other, happily. The sky was adorned with a myriad of romantic colours for Bianca and Bryce. 

There was no Parker beside me to walk down the isle.

Adrienne standing close to us, checking her watch constantly wasn't comforting. Blake walked in and took his place next to the bridesmaid he was escorting and gave me a tight-lipped smile. I returned the favor.

Bryce took his easy walk down the isle, smiling to people as he passed. Adrienne opened her mouth to give us our cue, but before she could, an extremely well-dressed and immaculate looking Parker walked in, mumbled and hurried apology to her and to Blake and took his place beside me.

Blake's shoulders relaxed, even though he looked vexed and Adrienne looked visibly happier.

"OK, people," she chirped, "It's showtime!"

The band struck up their instrumental as we made our way down the isle, Parker and I bringing up the rear.

"Where were you?" I hissed.

"Emergency," was all he said in return. He was smiling, but I could see it was forced. When we got to the end of the isle, we parted.

Bianca was a vision and their vows were beautiful. As we walked back to the marquees that we set up to host the reception, Blake caught up to Parker and said in a hushed voice, "Dude, I'm completely mad at you for not being here on time, but at least you showed up."

Parker only nodded and then we walked into the hall together in the midst of cheerful applause. Parker, being the gentleman his father raised him to be, pulled out my chair for me. I mumbled a thanks as I sat down. He sat down next to me and we listened to the toasts in peaceful silence.Bianca and Bryce were absolutely glowing with happiness as their friends recounted their relationship of six years. As the video montage of their six years began, I leaned towards Parker.

"Where were you?" I tried again.

He looked over at me and then looked away again. "Forget it," he said.

I leaned back in my chair, unable to put my suspicions to rest. The band announced the first dance of Bianca and Bryce as Mr. and Mrs. Hoffman and they took to the floor to the sound of "Darling I Do See You".

We watched in silence. My father smiled at me from the crowd and I smiled back. He was sitting with Parker's Dad.

After the first dance ended, Parker led me on to the dance floor as we all started our dance. Once I almost tripped over the hem of my dress and gripped Parker's shoulder tightly to keep from falling. He flinched and let out a small groan of pain. Parker wasn't the type to show weakness and I wondered at this.

"Are you hurt?" I asked.

He shook his head.

"I'm sorry," I said.

He looked down at me. "For what?"

"Hurting you."

He looked over my head. "You didn't."

You're right, Parker. I probably didn't hurt you, but you've hurt me.

"Why'd you get so late?" I asked, trying again.

"I was busy, OK? I told you. It was an emergency," he said, his voice sharp, but soft and distracted.

"Care to enlighten me?"

"I don't."

I gave up. There was no way I was getting anything out of him.

We kept quiet all through dinner and all through every other dance we danced. Blake danced with me and it was the most cheerful thing that had happened to me all day.

Parker and I were in the middle of one of our silent dances when our dads walked over to us. "We have to leave, kids," my Dad told us.

I nodded to him and to Uncle Fred and smiled.

"You look lovely, Alex," he said to me and I smiled.

"I'll probably be back tomorrow, Alex," my Dad told me and I nodded, "Be safe and call me when you get home. You don't mind checking the tank tonight, do you, Parker?"

"No, sir," he replied, easily.

"Great. We'll be going then."

My Dad kissed me on the forehead and then both of them walked away. I turned back to Parker.

He raised his eyebrows at me. "Don't you dare start your questions again," he said and walked away.

It was going to be a long night.