Ch11: Make a Fool of Myself

Hina Hikawa spotted a figure who stood by the arched gateway of Haneoka Girls' High School. Her sandy, sailor-like uniform from another school attracted attention. Haneoka students murmured amongst themselves; noticing the similarity between the stranger and Hina, the top student of their prep school.

The said girl, on the other hand, didn't seem to notice the stares from dozens of girls who walked past her. The student from Hanasakigawa leaned to the wall; fiddling with her phone and probably listened to the music as well because she wore earphones.

Hina couldn't believe her eyes. The one and only twin sister of hers visited Hina at school. The Sayo Hikawa who once stated that they shouldn't get on each other's hair once they started high school. The little sister pinched her arm and it hurt.

So this wasn't a dream. Hina smiled as warmth filled her heart. The sight of Sayo was more than enough to brighten her day.

Sayo averted her gaze from the screen. The twins' identical pair of green eyes then met.

"Onee-chan!" Hina's eyes went sparkly. "Whatcha doin' here?"

The girl removed the earphone and said, "Hina Hikawa, we need to talk." She didn't share Hina's enthusiasm and wore the stoic expression that she always had instead.

Talk? Did she hear that right?

Hina dropped her jaw. She wouldn't be surprised if hailstorms would befall Tokyo tonight because Sayo was acting so out of character.

"Y-you bet we can, Onee-chan!" Hina stuttered. "Imma talk with you until midnight—if you want, of course!"

Sayo eyed the person beside Hina. "...I see you're planning to go home with your friend," she said, brushing the little sister's question aside.

"Friend?" Hina was dumbfounded. "Wait, what friend?" The younger twin turned her head, noticing that Kaoru stood beside her. "Oh, right! Kaoru-kun!"

"Are you forgetting me, little kitten?" Kaoru asked with a shaky voice. She touched her chest in a dramatic way and continued, "Aah, my poor fragile heart can't take it...!"

"Oof... Sorry, Kaoru-kun!" said Hina. "I didn't mean to ignore you..."

It's just that, I'm too baffled at Onee-chan's visit, Hina thought.

"I'm just joking, little kitten." Kaoru chuckled. "But how come you never mentioned your sister being a Yamato Nadeshiko, the embodiment of true Japanese beauty?"

"A what, now?" Hina laughed.

Sayo, meanwhile, was rendered speechless by Kaoru's statement.

Kaoru, probably unaware or chose to dismiss Sayo's reaction toward her flirtatious remark, then introduced herself as she extended a hand.

Sayo shook hands with Kaoru. "I'm Sayo Hikawa. Pleased to meet you, Seta-san." The long-haired girl didn't smile as her new acquaintance did, yet her tone was friendlier than when she spoke with Hina. "My little sister must've bothered you with her antics... I apologize on her behalf."

»↠ ≈☆≈ ↞«

The sky had turned into the color of apricot when the Hikawa twins walked to a tram station. It was the transportation mode which the younger twin usually used to commute home. Hina was about to enter the station when Sayo suggested going on foot instead, which she agreed to right away. Their home was only two stations away from Haneoka, anyway.

"Hey, hey, Onee-chan! How long has it been since we last walked home together?"

"...Beats me," Sayo said, avoiding eye contact with Hina. She glanced at the passing tram instead.