03 ➝ artsy asshole

Start from the beginning

Perhaps he'd missed something in those two years away, he thought. They'd always been just friends; her and Michael, but they were older now, and he wouldn't be entirely surprised to hear that something had changed. They certainly looked closer than ever.

Elise caught Calum's drift fairly quickly, letting a soft shake of her head answer the silent question; it wasn't like that between them. He didn't miss anything. Nevertheless, her cheeks heated up, and it had nothing to do with the fire burning in the pit between them.

Calum smiled, a dimple showing at the side of his cheek. "Nice hoodie,"

"Damn right it's a nice hoodie," Michael muttered. "Shit cost me 60 bucks,"

"I'll try not to lose it," Elise smiled at him. "I guess,"

"Hilarious," he deadpanned, glancing over at Calum, a brow raising curiously. "Wow, Cal. Where's our drinks?"

The dark haired boy frowned immediately, eyes blinking in confusion. "You didn't ask for anyth- wait, did you? Oh, no, I totally forgot, didn't I?" His eyes widened a bit in concern, already finding himself standing again. "Shit, sorry, I'll go-"

"Cal,"

"What did you want again?" He pouted, brows furrowing. "Sorry, shit, I didn't mean to forget-"

"Cal," Michael said a bit louder, stopping the boy with a shake of his head and a light laugh. "I was kidding, Jesus Christ," Elise laughed a bit too, finding Calum's concerned rambling quite endearing, for she often did the same thing. "We didn't even ask for anything, bro,"

"Oh," Calum sat back down, a familiar blush coating his tanned cheeks. "I thought you were mad at me,"

Michael rolled his eyes. Elise found it rather relatable. "You always think I'm mad at you,"

"Because you're scary!"

"No," Michael laughed a bit, amused. Again, he often forgot how sensitive his friend was. It had been a while since he got the chance to mess with him. "You just don't get sarcasm. Still."

Calum sunk back into the chair he sat in, the flame from the pit illuminating the pout on his face as he crossed his arms, mumbling. "Sarcasm is scary."

Ignoring it, and still faintly amused, Michael detached himself from Elise's side, stretching as he came to a stand. "Speaking of drinks," he eyed the girl, watching her pull the sleeves of his hoodie past her fingers. "I need a White Claw. You want something, Lisi?"

Before she could answer, Calum scoffed. "Now you want something?"

"Yes. That's why I said it."

The other boy pouted further. "Now I feel bad," he mumbled. "I could've got it,"

"It's okay," Elise assured him softly, a slight shrug to her shoulders. "I don't want anything,"

He narrowed his eyes a bit. "You sure? Not even a Claw? I know they've got em' all. You don't even have to have grapefruit,"

Elise giggled. "I'm good, for now,"

"You're such a frat boy,"

"Mhm," Michael flipped him off, squeezing Elise's shoulder once lightly, just before he stepped away. "Enjoy your beer, Calum,"

Once he was gone, in search for the drink she'd come to realize was the newest college student obsession, she couldn't help but laugh at the confused frown on Calum's face. Their dynamic was endlessly entertaining, she forgot how much she missed seeing them together.