🌟HOPE 🌟

Gudiya have always been the quiet one among the many kids of her age. She seldom spoke, hardly played and never stepped out of the orphanage even once in the last five months. Gudiya refused to leave the room despite the care takers pleaded to her.

She often answers by hand gestures or head shakes sometimes politely refuses with a 'no, thank you'.

The orphanage administrator, Ratna scanned the playground from her office window. With the smaller number of kids in the home, it was easy for her to identity each one with their names.

As she takes in the wonderful view of joyfully playing kids, there was one missing. It wasn't a surprise for she knew exactly who the missing one.

On normal days, Ratna would send one of the care takers to call Gudiya out to join the kids. Perhaps, Gudiya might change her mind if gives a try, she thought.

Ratna sighed and pivoted on her heels, she reached for her mobile phone one the desk and headed out of her office room. Striding along the hallway, the administrator halted before the ajar door.

The nine-year-old girl in a violet frock sat on one of the many beds lined along the wall. She had her back faced Ratna.

Gudiya was seemed to be staring at the wall all the while. Neither did she moved and walked around nor was she attempting to look out the window. Her gaze was fixed to the wall.

Ratna begin to worry, if Gudiya continues to isolate herself from others, it wouldn't be good for her. Gudiya will be ignored by other kids too and no one would be friend with her.

Ratna took slow steps towards the third bed from the end. She remembered how Gudiya ended up in her care five months ago.

Gudiya was dropped at the orphanage by one of her relatives who couldn't afford to take care of her any longer. They said she was too much of an expense and the family of four couldn't bare for another member. Especially when they did not get any funds from her late parents.

The poor kid cried, yelled and begged to take her back with them but they paid no heed to her cries.

"You are a burden and you never brought fortune to our family," was the last words her uncle and aunty spat at her before pushing her out of their way.

Ratna vividly recalled, Gudiya continued to cry for days and starved until she passed out. She felt terrible for the kid. Gudiya was traumatized.

She did not let anyone come close to her after she regain conscious. Ratna had told her care givers to let the girl have some time to recover.

Five months later, there were no much improvement. Gudiya still isolates herself from any kind of interaction except for requesting food or complaints about pain if she has. Apart from that she doesn't talk to anyone.

Ratna quietly sat next to Gudiya. The nine-year-old did not acknowledge her presence as she continued to stare at the wall.

"Gudiya," Ratna called and place her hand softly on her shoulder.

"Aunty Prema?!" She exclaimed and turned around with a wide smile that disappeared in an instant. Sorrow clouded her gleamed eyes.

Ratna however, held her warm smile as she greeted Gudiya.

"How are you?"

"I'm ... Okay. Sorry, I thought you were my aunty. I guess are not coming even today to pick me up," she mumbled, her eyes swam with tears.

"I wait every day for them— for any of them to take me back," Gudiya's voice cracked, tears spilled from her reddening eyes.

Ratna took her in her arms, cradled her and she whispered calming words to Gudiya.

"Am I a bad girl?" Asked the nine-year-old.

"Oh, why would you ask that? You have been an excellent girl. You are good in studies. Always behaved well, you are not a bad girl, sweetie," she commented, brushing away Gudiya's short straight hairs that stuck on her face.

"Then why they left me here alone?" The little girl's lips curved down as tears continued to flow freely. Her face had turned red.

"They want you to have more friends," said Ratna, gesturing Gudiya to take a look outside. At the kids playing around and chasing one another.

"It will be a waste if you don't make friends with them, you know. Those kids are a wonderful as you are. You will have a lot of fun being with them out there."

"But I want to go back. I hope they come get me back home," Gudiya sobbed, her fingers were fidgeting with the end of her violet frock.

"Do you like being at home, Gudiya?"

Ratna's question got her to think about her former houses. She had been living like a vagabond ever since she remembers.

Sometimes she lives in her mother's sibling's house while half the time in her father's. They often take turn in taking care of her.

Gudiya used to do all sort of chores in the house after she turned seven. She never complaint. Perhaps, she was being too comfortable in her living among those she knew, Gudiya continued to work without whining.

However, as she grew older her uncles and aunties were facing difficulties in providing her essentials, proper meals and shelter.

Her temporary care takers gathered one day. They discussed for a very long time. After the lengthy meeting, Gudiya was dropped at the orphanage a few days later.

Their last words to her kept ringing in her ears.

"You are a burden and you never brought fortune to our family." Gudiya's body shuddered recalling their venom laced words.

Ratna wiped the tears flowing down Gudiya's cheeks and made Gudiya turn to face her.

"Look sweetie. You are a hidden fortune yet to be discovered. Don't get disheartened with what your family had done. Some people are just irresponsible and childish." Ratna tried to dismiss the little girl's anguish, hoping Gudiya doesn't take her family's betrayal to heart.

If Gudiya continues, she would stop hoping for miracles to happen. Ratna couldn't take the chance of letting the innocent girl see the world black. Gudiya needs to feel the colourful and joyful life waiting for her outside.

Ratna took a glance out the window, it was getting dark and the kids were filling the room as the noise grew loud.

"Why don't you follow me. Let's take some fresh air," Ratna grabbed her tiny hand and lead her outside.

Cold breeze brushed her face delicately, Gudiya hugged herself and sat next to Ratna on a bench.

Ratna slide her gaze up at the brightly lit full moon. A small smile etched on her face.

Wrapping an arm around Gudiya's shoulder, Ratna pointed her finger at the moon.

"Look it's full moon,"

Gudiya's eyes glimmered under the moonlight.

"Wow! It looks beautiful," she breathed as she gapped at the fully illuminated ball studded in the sky with amazement.

"Have you seen it before?" Ratna asked.

"I have but I don't get to see it often. I was never allowed to step out of the house regularly," she replied, her gaze never left the moon.