Chapter One

The narrative opens up to a bespectacled Ishita working on her laptop at midnight as the creak of her bedroom door breaks her concentration. Her mother is at the door, holding a tray with two mugs of coffee.

"Come Amma, take a seat."

Madhavi Iyer enters her daughter's bedroom and sees that the dinner is kept untouched

"Ishu, I told you to have your food. Why didn't you listen to me?"

Ishita shuts her laptop and turns to face her concerned mother

"Amma, I had to prepare an important presentation. I will heat the food and eat it, don't worry."

Amma puts the tray on the coffee table and walks up to Ishita, tying her hair in a bun and massaging her forehead.

"Amma, I don't know what I'd do without you. Thank you so much for caring for me."

Madhavi's eyes fill up and she leans forward to kiss her daughter's forehead.

"Kanna, I'm so thankful to you for all that you do for this house. But please, think about yourself. I want to see you happily married and living in your own house, away from the stress of managing the expenses for my medicines and bills."

Ishita took her mother's hands in hers and reiterated to her

"Amma, I've told you that nothing matters to me more than you. But please don't talk to me about marriage. It irritates me and spoils my mood."

Madhavi very well knew that Ishita was fearful of marriage because of the bitter divorce she saw her parents, Madhavi and Vishwa go through.

"Ishu, every guy isn't the same as your father. I will try to find a suitable guy for you. Please, don't refuse."

Ishita diverted the topic, upsetting Madhavi.

"Come let's have coffee Amma. It'll get cold and tasteless otherwise."

On the other hand, there was Raman who stridently entered his house after a wild night of partying with friends. There was no one to ask for him as his parents were fast asleep in their own room, unbothered about what their son was doing.

He woke up the next morning to see his mother taking a suit out from his cupboard. He didn't understand what was happening, so decided to ask

"Kya kar rahe ho Maa? Suits kyun nikaal rahe ho?"

Toshi ji turned to her son and told him that in the next few days, they would be going over to a perspective bride's house so this was just preparation for the said event.

Raman threw his arms in the air, annoyed at his mother for taking such a big decision of his life without even telling him.

"Maa, mujhe shaadi nahi karni. Mere liye ladkiyan dhundna chod do."

Toshi ji wasn't taking any more of Raman's excuses.

"Dekh Puttar, tu 25 saal ka hogaya hai. Yahi umar hai shaadi ki. Zid naa kar. Saare rishtedar mujhe baatein sunaate hain ke main bahu rakhne ke kaabil nahi hoon. Maan jaa Puttar, please."

"Aap hi sambhalna phir apni bahu ko, mujhse nahi hoga yeh kaam."

Toshi ji was ecstatic at Raman's approval but she missed to see that Raman was reluctant to get into a lifelong commitment. She was just concerned with the taunts of her in laws and how they'll be quiet now.

In the next few days, Raman, Toshi ji and Om Prakash went to Ishita's house to fix the alliance of Raman-Ishita to which Ishita had agreed just for Madhavi's happiness.

Madhavi had considered Raman to be the best guy for Ishita because Toshi's best friend and also a match maker, Pammi had falsely praised Raman to make the gullible woman believe there was no one better than him for Ishita.

In all of this, it was Madhavi who was being fooled into believing that Raman was ideal. There was a rather geeky smile plastered on Raman's face which Ishita found extremely weird.

They were sent to the terrace to speak to each other in private but neither of them said anything except for sharing awkward eye locks as Ishita's discomfort reached its peak and she left from there.

Raman was certain to make Ishita his wife because she seemed like a timid and docile young woman whom he would be able to control.

They came back from the terrace and Raman announced that he wanted to marry Ishita immediately.

Toshi and Om Prakash celebrated whilst Madhavi thanked the Almighty for blessing her daughter's life.

Ishita just sat beside her mother, half heartedly smiling; unwilling to tell her mother that she felt Raman was haughty and full of himself, uncaring of anyone else's feelings.

However, she went along not wanting to form judgements without knowing him properly.

I've started a new story today and I hope it gets as much love as my other stories have gotten. Please tell me what you felt about it.

A request to silent readers to also leave comments. They are of immense value to me.

I value all my readers and followers immensely. Please keep the love coming. Thank you so much.

Haan Main Galatजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें