Chapter 27 ~ Saving the world again

Start from the beginning

"(Y/n)!" I hear Dad scream my name.

"Dad!" I scream again. I try to kick the robot off of me, but every subtle movement makes the bar fall faster.

Dad comes to the edge of the bridge and sees me. He reaches down to grab my hand. I send a blast to the robot on my leg and destroy it. I look up at Dad and reach out to his hand. Just as my fingers graze his fingertips, the bar falls completely.

"Dad!" I scream as I fall into the large abyss below.

Steve's POV

"Dad!" (Y/n) screams as she falls into the abyss below. She disappears behind all the dust and smoke from the rumble.

I continue looking down in complete and utter shock. I had one job and failed. I sit up, still on my knees as I continue to look down. My vision starts getting blurry due to the tears building up. I lost the most important person to me, the person that changed my life for the better since the moment we met. The person that always knew how to brighten my day and always knew how to get me to laugh. It feels like that moment when I woke up to find out I was asleep for 70 years and everyone I once knew was either gone or grew old without me. It feels like that moment when Bucky fell off the train and I thought I lost him forever.

I sit there, crying softly, not caring about what's happening around me. I let the tears slide down my face, staining my cheeks. I don't care who sees me like this because I just lost the person that made my life worth living ever since I was defrosted.

"Cap." I hear Tony say from behind me. I hear him land on the bridge with a thud.

I don't even look back at him. I open my eyes and stare at the ground. "I lost her," I say to him, voice cracking as I spoke. "I lost the only person that made my life worth living after I was defrosted," I say to him in a broken voice. "I should... I should've told her and Roy to stay at the tower and let us handle this. Now because of my decision I lost her forever. It feels like losing Bucky all over again."

"Awwww. I never knew you felt that way." A voice, I thought I would never hear again, says behind me.

I turn around slowly and see (Y/n) in Tony's arms. Tony lets her down and I stand up. I start to walk slowly to her and she does the same. We meet halfway and I pick her up, engulfing her in a tight loving hug. I continue to cry softly as I hold her head tightly.

"I thought I lost you," I say softly for only her to hear.

"Like I told you before, I'm not going anywhere Spangles." She says and I smile softly, as the tears still come down my cheeks.

I look up at Tony. "Thank you," I say to him.

He nods. "You can always count on me to catch her." He says a little smugly.

I close my eyes, inhaling sharply to control my breathing. I hear Tony's thrusters go off so I'm assuming he's taking off. I continue to hold (Y/n) tightly in my arms, she hugs me back tightly too as we just enjoy this little moment.

"Holy crap the city is flying!" I hear her gasp.

"What?" My voice cracks as I speak. I go close to the edge and see that she's right.

"Do you see? The beauty of it, the inevitability." We hear Ultron's voice say to us. "You rise, only to fall. You, Avengers, you are my meteor, my swift and terrible sword and the earth will crack with the weight of your failure. Purge me from your computers, turn my own flesh against me. It means nothing. When the dust settles, the only thing living in this world will be metal."

I put (Y/n) down and wipe my teary eyes and stained cheeks. I look over the edge again with (Y/n) beside me as we look at the city going up in the air. A robot comes behind us and I backfist it without even looking.