My mom shook Jane's hand and chuckled. "Well it's lovely to meet you Jane, what brings you here?"

"I'm here to ask if Owen can stay with me for the weekend, it looks like he could use sometime away, and my family is more then willing to give you a little break too." She said glancing at my dad, sitting in the couch.

"Well Jane, that would be wonderful. Thank you so much!" She said, pulling her into a tight hug. "How did Owen meet such a nice girl like you, huh?" They both laughed and I felt my heart beat faster. This was it. This was the girl. I knew it. I felt it with every fiber of my being. Jane was going to be mine.

Yes, tragic story, I was friend zoned at the young age of eight years old. But at least I got to spend my life with her.

In eighth grade, Jane was asked to the dance. She was supposed to be my date, as best friends we did all kinds of that stuff together. But Tucker had to get in the way of our first dance. I hated Tucker from that moment on.

Once Jane got a date, she was ecstatic. She thought this could be her first chance at the fairytale love every girl dreams about. But she didn't realize how desperately I wanted to be the knight in shinning armor. But not for just any princess. I wanted to be Jane's.

Even so, I scrambled to get a date and went with Danica. But even though I couldn't be with Jane at the dance, my thoughts never left her.

I'll never forget what she wore. She had a blue silky dress that hugged her figure nicely. I could tell she let her mom do her hair because it had the softest curls twisted throughout her soft brown hair. I wanted nothing more then to touch those curls.

The only thing I didn't love about her look was her makeup. It wasn't like clown makeup or anything, it was actually quite subtle. But I could tell she did it to impress the other girls in our grade. Girls like Danica, my date, who prided themselves in the way they could work a mascara wand. I had an ache in my stomach. I wanted to pull her away from everyone, smudge every last bit of makeup off her face and tell her how beautiful she was.

I couldn't describe the feeling I had when Tucker touched her, danced with her, looked at her. How could he? Why couldn't he see she was already mine?

Jane has always felt like mine. A part of myself I couldn't reach. She was my favorite thing I had, but she wasn't fully mine. And that's all I wanted in the world, was to call her mine, and mine completely.

—————————————————————

Jane:

The night got darker and my eyes felt heavy.

Owen and I continued to talk and make promises to always call and text each other so the distance would be more bearable.

Soon after our deep talk my head began to sway and planted itself on Owen's chest. Not long after I drifted off to sleep.

—————————————————————

Owen:

I waited about an hour more before lightly pulling Jane off my chest and resting her back to her own seat. I lightly brushed her hair behind her ear to get a better view of her features.

My stomach was in knots. Why'd you always have to do this to me Jane?

I faced forward again, seeing that the clock read 1:30.

"Time to get you home." I whispered into her ear softly. I smiled as she didn't move a muscle.

Once I arrived at her house I carefully scooped Jane up bridal style, and felt my heart jump when she rested her head on my chest.

Jane's mom met me at the door kissing my cheek.

"How was your night? Looks like Jane got tiered out from all the fun huh?"

"Yes," I laughed softly, trying not to stir Jane. "Jane's crazy when she's awake but when she crashes, she crashes hard." This made Jane's mom laugh with me.

I continued to carry Jane through the house until I reached her room.

I was very familiar with Jane's house, family, stuff, because this place was my home too. When I didn't feel comfortable at home or something was going on, this house was always open to me. Something I'll be great full for for the rest of my life.

I laid Jane on her bed and covered her with her favorite fuzzy pink blanket. The one we fought over every time I stayed over here.

"Goodnight, love." I said, bending down to plant a light kiss on her forehead. This was what I had. Stolen moments with the girl I loved, wanting so desperately to show her just how much. "I'll love you until my dying breath, Jane Gower." I whispered, stroking her wrist as I took it in my hand. "See you in the morning." I said getting up, but not leaving without giving her another kiss, on the cheek this time.

I looked down at her, snuggled in her jeans and favorite sweatshirt that her mom claims makes her look like a middle aged homeless dude. She was so cute! I never agreed with Mrs. Gower about that. I think Jane's style sets her apart. It's part of what makes her special. So if this was her favorite sweatshirt, it was mine too.

I looked around her room. Most everything was in boxes except for a few trinkets she probably decided to leave behind. Jane was going off to bigger and better things. I would be attending the local university while still living at home. Nothing would change much in my schedule, but with Jane leaving, it felt like part of my life was being swept away. Along with my heart.

I flicked off the lamp and walked down stairs, carefully closing the door behind me.

I met Mr. and Mrs. Gower down stairs and waved goodbye to them.

"Owen, wait." Mrs. Gower said, motioning for me to sit in a chair near the couch.

"Okay, it's getting late though, I can't stay long. My mom will worry." I chuckled.

"That's fine, we won't keep you long." Said Mr. Gower.

"So, as you know, Jane is going to college tomorrow." Mrs. Gower began.

"Yes, I know that, I'm gonna miss her a lot. I don't know what I'll do with myself." I laughed again, trying to lighten the mood.

"Yes, it's devastating. Jane always brings us so much joy. It'll be a shame to lose that." Mrs. Gower said, wiping her eyes before the tears poured out of them. "But we wanted to let you know that this is still your home, Owen. You are always welcome here no matter what. The guest room is practically yours anyway! And just because Jane is gone doesn't mean that we want to stop seeing you around here."

"Yes she's right." Mr. Gower chimed in. "I've always considered you like a son. This place is still your home. Don't ever hesitate to ask us for anything, you understand?" I nodded, tears pooling in my eyes. Jane's family has always been mine too. I was afraid of losing it when she left.

"Please, come and join us for dinner after classes too okay?" Mrs. Gower asked. "Don't worry, I'll be sure to make enough food to fill that huge appetite of yours." She laughed.

"Yes, of course I'll come and see you guys. And dinner would be fantastic. Thank you both. You mean so much to me I don't know how to describe it." I said, wiping my eyes. It wasn't that I was afraid of losing them, it was just that I needed the assurance that I wasn't just some kid their daughter always had around. They meant a lot to me, and I was glad I meant a lot to them too.