The Ball

During the absence of both heiresses and their mother Deirdre usually occupied herself with everything that needed to be done but for what she lacked time at another time, since the girls tended to find even more new tasks to do for their servant: sometimes it was ironing a dress, sometimes replacing the heel tips in the shoes that kept having their heels broken.

That was why that evening Deirdre was headed to the kitchen as to tidy it up a little. She did not expect anyone to disturb her, because the house was almost completely empty if not for Mr. Bragg, but he – as always – sat in his study; the rest of the servants, just like they usually did, wasted their time in the servants' room, which was located in the outhouse at the back of the manor.

To her surprise, though, all of sudden a knocking sounded. She therefore put the cloth she used to clean the kitchen tops aside, then wiped her hands using the apron, quickly getting back to the entrance hall to open the door.

At the threshold stood a pimpled boy in shattered clothes. Having no money of her own, Deirdre could not offer him even a penny.

"If you want," she said hesitantly, "I'll bring you some bread..."

Of course, she should not have done that, since the bread did not belong to her, either, but at the same time, she was certain no-one would get to know; no-one would notice that just a little piece was missing...

"No, no, this ain't what I'm here for, m'lady," answered the boy immediately, shaking his head. After a moment, he took a step back and beckoned towards a very small cart with harnessed donkey standing behind his back; the donkey looked like it had not seen a proper meal in a longer while. "Mr. Quinnelly told me to bring the youngest miss Bragg to him, to the ball in the palace-the-dance, m'lady."

Deirdre blinked. She remembered the name 'Quinnelly'; he was one of the suitor for Tenille, one of those young people who had been pushed away not by the propositus herself, but by her mother, who claimed that he was too indigent. Well, she had the right to claim so, thought Deirdre, glancing at the famished donkey.

"I am very sorry, but the lady along with both young ladies has already left the manor to go to said ball," replied the girl, frowning a little.

The boy stepped from one foot to the other.

"M'lady is the youngest miss Bragg, no?" he asked at last, looking at Deirdre and extending his hand towards her, his fingernails bearing signs of being frequently bitten.

"Oh, no, I assure you it's not me," Deirdre shook her head quickly.

She was so embarrassed that she did not hear the steps in the corridor. However, she could not help but hear the sonorous voice.

"What is going on in here?" thundered Mr. Bragg, approaching the door. "For God's sake, Deirdre, kick out this scoundrel, and get back inside, you'll get cold."

Mr. Bragg was probably the nicest person in the whole family, and the only one addressing the servant with respect that surprised even her. Nevertheless, he had something to him that always terrified her; and it was not only that haughtiness that characterised every person from the upper class. Perhaps it was that menacing glare from underneath his bushy eyebrows; perhaps the face marked with wrinkles and tiny scars... perhaps something completely different.

"Yes, si-"

"But I ain't no scoundrel, m'lord, I came here for m'lady, Mr. Quinnelly wants me to take her to the ball," interrupted her the boy, which caused quite a stupefaction to appear in Mr. Bragg's heart. The man opened the door a bit more.

"For Deirdre?" he asked.

The boy nodded confidently, which made Deirdre's heart sink. She had no idea how to explain to Mr. Bragg that it was not in fact about her, but about his younger daughter... She was opening her mouth when the man laughed out loud.