43: I can be your family

Depuis le début

"Sit here," he said and pointed at one of the workbenches.

She climbed up and he situated himself right in front of her. So close. Their faces were at the same level when she sat there.

He took off his jacket and put it over her shoulders. Then he patted her arms and shoulders lightly. Trying to warm her.

"You need a hot bath and some dry clothes," he said. "I'll have the maids arrange that for you and then we can talk."

She shook her head.

"I need to talk to you now," she said. "I can't wait."

"But you're so wet and cold," he protested while still trying to warm her.

"I'm used to wet and cold, I'm from the swamp," she said with a smile.

"Well, I was quite wet and cold after visiting your home. So I do believe you," he said and smiled back at her. "What do you need to tell me, Meera?"

He put his hands around hers and rubbed and breathed on them to warm them up. His big hands enveloped hers. It felt nice, it felt warm, it felt safe.

"The Frey's have attacked our lands," she said. "They have us under siege. My father will be able to hold it for a while but he can't hold them away forever. They will take our lands eventually."

"I'll march there," he said without hesitation. "I'll take them back for you."

She knew he would say that, but she couldn't let him. Not without ensuring his safety. So she shook her head.

"I can't let you do that," she said. "I went to the king, to ask for his help. Because my father still believes he's loyal to us. But the king won't help us. And he will declare anyone who does a traitor to the crown. He threatened you. He said he will behead you. He knew I would go to you. So he must know..."

"Know about what?"

"That I'm..."

She looked down, suddenly shy. It felt weird to utter the words. But as she looked at her hands, still enveloped by his, she knew what she felt was real. She knew he must feel it too. And she knew she could tell him.

So she looked up again. She looked into those beautiful blue eyes. The eyes she couldn't lie to. And she told him.

"I'm in love with you, Gendry," she said.

He put his hands up to her face and carefully brushed some wet strands of hair away from her cheeks.

"I'm in love with you too, Meera," he said. "I'm so darn in love with you that I don't know what to do with myself."

Then he kissed her. His lips were so warm against her cold lips. His tongue gently grazing hers. She felt a tingling spreading through her entire body, warming her, embracing her.

He put his hands on the jacket that was still over her shoulders and pulled her closer. Her legs were on each side of his hips and their bodies rubbed up against each other. He was so close and it felt so right. She could feel that he wanted her and she wanted him so badly too. She wanted him to take her right there on that bench.

But she couldn't give in just yet. She had to talk to him first. She had to ask him something. So she reluctantly parted her lips from his.

"That's why I can't let you help me," she said. "I can't let him hurt you."

"There must be something I can do," he replied. "I want to help you."

"There is one way... "

She looked down again. What she was about to say didn't feel proper. It wasn't something a woman should ask a man. But she needed to ask him anyway.