Chapter Nine: Interviews-part 1

Start from the beginning

We then stop for lunch and Glimmer and I are handed over to Gwen Maple, who teaches us on how to look elegant and not embarrass ourselves when on stage. This is easy enough for me- I have to stand and sit straight. But Glimmer has to practice walking in really high heels, which she somehow manages to do well- I know that if I tried, I would fall flat on my face. 

After an evening meal, we are then handed over to the stylists. Aquarius Heavenwing is somewhat annoyed that my approach is 'friendly' and not something more exciting, like the other District One tributes have, like 'lethal', for example. 

But he does take pleasure in showing me my suit. It's blue, with a blue and yellow tie and the occasion jewel sewn on here and there. 

"Blue means trust, friendliness and honesty, " he explains, "while the yellow on the tie symbolises happiness, which shows you are happy and excited about going into the Games."

"Wow, " I say in awe. I mean, I'm sure the Capitol audience won't look too deeply into the meaning of my clothes, but it's clear he's put in an effort, "Thanks."

He helps me put the suit on and then I step into some black shoes, (I don't think there's any symbolism there). 

I'm then directed backstage where all the other tributes are waiting. Glimmer is already there in a gold see-through dress and is talking to Cato. Clove is watching them, with her arms folded. Marina is standing nearby talking to Murdoch, who appears nervous. 

"Hi, " I say, walking up to Clove, Marina and Murdoch. 

"Well, " says Marina, "Doesn't someone look dashing?"

"You don't look half bad yourself, "I say, eying her long blue dress. She swishes it from side to side and the fabric moves as if it's water. 

"Nice 10 you got Clove," I smile, trying to include her, "I messed up on my session."

"I don't understand why I didn't get higher. I hit all the targets in the bullseye," she frowns-Katniss has just entered the room, wearing a red dress. Her stylist I see is still going with the fire idea-and then she says wistfully, "I wish I knew how she got that Eleven."

"Me too. Speaking of high scores, has Cato tried asking Thresh to join us again?"

Clove nodded and whispered, "Don't even mention the subject to him. Thresh completely ignored him. Cato was livid with rage." I can imagine. 

We are all called into line and all stand single file. There are 24 chairs round the edge of the stage which we have to sit in for all the interviews, (which in total is over an hour), as well as two chairs on the centre-one for Caesar Flickerman, and the other for the interviewee. 

We make our way onto the stage amidst the cheer of the audience. The sound is deafening. As we take our seats, Caesar gets them to calm down, makes a few jokes, and then asks Glimmer to take a seat. 

Glimmer walks to the chair, swishing her dress flirtatiously. I switch off during her interview-I know the angle she's doing. She gushes about how everyone has been so nice to her in the Capitol-except the Gamemakers who were just jealous of her when giving her a score of 8, and she's talks about a special guy she's met since being in the capitol, but won't reveal who. She then goes on to describe him, making it pretty obvious about who she's talking about and explains how she's worried that his District partner likes him too. I worry she's gone too far and glance at Clove, who's clenched her fists in anger. 

And then it's my turn. I walk confidently to where Caesar is standing, shake his hand, and take a seat. I can't describe the enormity of this moment. This is where I get the sponsors I need to win. 

Caesar begins by asking a list of questions, which was unexpected. 

"Why have you always wanted to be here? What are your strengths? What are your weaknesses? And how do you feel about the competition?" Ok, I think, first three questions I've prepared for; I'll just have to think on my feet for the next one. I try to commit them to memory: why I'm here, strengths, weaknesses, competition. Got it. 

I smile at the audience, like Gloss said to do, and then say one of my well-rehearsed speeches, with pauses and smiles to make it sound natural. "Well, ever since I was a kid, I'd watch these Games, and I'd see someone kill someone else. And I just thought, that's me. My dad was a hunter, my mother a victor of the 49th Hunger Games, " this gets a cheer from the audience, "and they really inspired and encouraged me and I always wanted to volunteer. It really goes to show that if you apply yourself and you focus, then all of your dreams can come true." The audience sighs. 

"What were the next questions? I'm sorry I've got a memory like a goldfish. Oh wait, it was my strengths and weaknesses, right?" I ask, pretending not to know. This gets a laugh from the audience, as well as Caesar, who nods in affirmation. 

"Well, I'm not going to say my strengths, " I speak to the audience, "I'm afraid you'll just have to wait and see. But for my weaknesses, I do have a funny story."

"Go on, " prompts Caesar.

I hunch forward confidentially, as if I'm imparting a secret to the audience and say, "Well, one fault of mine is that I like to impress people. I want people to respect and admire me," there's a murmur of sympathy from the audience, "So I decided to do something I'd never done before in front of the Gamemakers." This gets a laugh, "Now Gloss told me to achieve a 10, and you all know what Gloss is like, " I exaggerate rolling my eyes. The camera goes to Gloss, who's pretending to look hurt, just like we practised. "So I decided to pick up a spear and throw it at a target...behind me." I mime, and the audience laughs, "Which is why, despite my best efforts of getting a 10 or higher, I only achieved a 9." 

"A 9 is still pretty good, " says Caesar encouragingly, while the audience yells shouts of approval. Caesar smiles, waits for a pause, and then asks, "And what do you think of the competition?" Oh great, the question I haven't prepared for. 

I force a smile, "Well I mean there are some tough tributes this year, I'll give you that. But you know, I got a decent score, my mother's a past victor, and I've got an amazing mentor and a stylist," this gets cheers, "So I think I stand a good chance of winning." This gets some shouts of encouragement from the audience. 

The buzzer goes off and Caesar shakes my hand. He then lifts my arm into the air. 

"Ladies and gentlemen, " he cries, "I give you...Marvel!" I whoop and then return to my seat.