( eight )

HONEY HONEY
CHAPTER EIGHT

THERE was something different about John Ambrose

THERE was something different about John Ambrose. Not that he had changed in any way but now Carly was seeing him in a new light. It was small things she noticed. How his eyes crinkled when he laughed, the softness of his voice, the sparkle in his eyes when he was happy. Carly didn’t know why she saw these things and what it meant knowing them. Was it another stage in friendship? Was this what friendship looked like? Knowing the tiny things about each other? Based on multiple books and films she had watched the answer seemed to be yes. As she sat at one of the tables playing checkers with a delightful Mr Burns, her mind wandered to the boy in the corner, who was learning to knit with Mrs Glick. She smiled. 

Soon enough, Dorothy sauntered in, ready to ruin any enjoyment the teenagers were having. She led the two through the building, eventually meeting up with Lara Jean on the way. They followed Dorothy, greeting some of their new found friends as they passed by. 

“Today’s gonna be a fun day. I have an exciting project for you three. Our annual Belleview garden party is coming up.” Dorothy stated as they entered their destination. “Last year we got rained out, so we decided to move it indoors.”

“So, we’re gonna do the garden party in here?” Lara Jean judged the conditions of the room they stood in. 

“Yup! Put out some potted ferns, cheese platter. I dunno, some twinkle lights? It’ll be fine.” It didn’t seem like a lot of effort for a celebration. Dorothy turned to the double doors behind her, pushing them open. Inside was an array of items, mostly plants. “But, I need you three to clear out this space. It’s become a bit of a junk room.”

“Wow. What is this?” John Ambrose asked. 

“Mr Sawoski’s failed green thumb attempt and belongings of residents who passed. Alone. With no family members to claim them.” Dorothy informed, a poignant tone to her voice. The serious atmosphere changed swiftly. “Make two piles, okay? Trash and donations.” 

Dorothy left the room to continue whatever job she gets paid for. Carly wandered around the room, picking up random objects for a closer look. John Ambrose had found a small pile of books. He walked past her waving an edition of Romeo and Juliet in her face. Carly rolled her eyes as her opinion on the play would never change. Carly opened a box labelled ‘Gracie”. Inside the box were multiple letters, trinkets, and photos. Carly removed one photo of, presumably, a couple. On the back it said, “To my heart and soul, Gracie. Yours, William.”

Warmth spread through Carly’s heart. As she dug through the box, she fell more in love with Gracie and William’s story. They were better than any Romeo and Juliet.  As she read another letter from William to Gracie, she didn’t notice the boy standing behind her. He stared at the paper from over her shoulder and too, read the moving words. 

“And every day, I wait to find you again. To once again hold you as if we were sixteen all over again. I fight every day for the possibility of that moment. Yours, William.” John recited. Carly flitched slightly at his presence but relaxed quickly.  “That’s beautiful.”