Because you like boys, my brain said. 

He smiled even wider. "Why not? Handsome young man like yourself. Do you... prefer to have casual - ? 

He trailed off, hoping I would finish the sentence. 

The annoyance surged again. Firstly, I'd never actually heard someone say "handsome young man like yourself" in real life, and secondly, don't these boomers have any boundaries or respect when they talk to young people? Who the hell asks that the first time you meet someone?

Everyone's eyes were fixed on me, waiting for my answer - apart from my sister. She was playing Minecraft on the iPad hidden under the table. 

I looked around slowly, my anger building. I didn't get angry often - but with recent events I felt like this was too much. 

"I'm not really comfortable sharing that. " I said, staring straight at Mr. Dopey Dog. 

Something like embarrassment flashed across his face, then he leant back, the stupid grin returning. "Of course. I'm sorry. " 

Silence ensued, then my mother, the heroine, managed to get normal chatter to resume. 

I was still angry, however. I forced my leg to stop bouncing, my fists to unclench, then stood up. 

"Wow, time flies! It's been great meeting you, Mr and Mrs Richardson, and you too, Sirena. I'm so sorry to leave, but I promised my friend I'd pick him up. " 

I could feel my mother's glaring on the side of my face, but I knew she wouldn't say anything - fighting in front of guests was prohibited. 

We did some more smiling and nodding and saying nice to meet you, and then I was out of the living room and down the stairs into the cool garage. My cars lights lit up as I unlocked it. It was such a relief to sit in my car as the garage door lifted up, the cool blues of the evening greeting me. Luckily I had some gym gear in the back, so I drove to school.  Coach stayed late on Saturdays as the basketball girls had practice. 

The gym's lights were bright compared to outside and I squinted for a second. 

Coach waved at me from the other side of the court, the sounds of basketballs bouncing off the ground, squeaks from shoes, and shouts from the girls team echoing around the large area. 

I raised my hand to wave back. 

The gym's lights were on. I frowned. I was usually the only one at this time. I could hear the thud of running feet and the whirr of the running machine. I rounded the corner in the gym then abruptly turned around and walked back behind the wall. 

Fucking JAX WIILLLLSON.

My eyes were wide, my hands clenching into fists. I felt like punching something. In the brief glance I had had, he was wearing ear buds so he wouldn't have heard me. I could just keep walking, just get back into my car. 

But...

I slowly stepped out a bit farther around the wall. 

Sweat gleamed on his face and neck, and his hair was slicked back with it. He looked like he'd been running a while, high colour on his cheeks. I watched his muscles flex and relax as he ran. He was breathing hard. He reached out and turned the speed down until he was just walking, then before I could turn away he pulled the bottom of his shirt up to wipe his face. 

I bit the inside of my cheek hard. 

He had abs now. 

His shoulders tapered to narrow hips - his skin looked beyond smooth, gleaming with sweat. His muscles clenched and unclenched as he breathed. He had a definite v-line leading down, down, past the waistband of his shorts. 

The last time I'd seen him shirtless was years ago when we were still friends - before puberty. 

I was so focused on his body that I didn't move when he lowered his shirt. I froze at the same time he did, his eyes meeting mine.

He looked younger, at that moment, his eyes wide and shocked, greener than sea-glass. His hands were still in his shirt, over his mouth. 

I couldn't stop the heat creeping up my cheeks. I had never been so glad of my darker skin tone in that moment. 

Then his eyes slitted and his hands lowered, and Wilson was back. He reached down to the treadmill to stop it's motion, and the gym is silent. 

"Denver, " He said, his voice low and lazy despite having just been running. "Do I have a stalker?" 

I could only stare. 

"What were you looking at, Denver?" He asked softly, his mouth curving. 

I snapped myself out of it, going over to put my bag down. I unzipped my sports jacket and chucked it on top of my stuff, preparing to stretch. 

"Nothing to see. " I muttered. 

"What'd you say?" He grinned, getting off the treadmill and unscrewing his water bottle. 

I stretched my arms up over my head. "Nothing to see." I said louder. 

My stomach jumped his eyes trailed down to where my shirt had lifted up, leaving part of my abdomen exposed. 

His eyes moved back up to mine as he put the nozzle of the drink bottle in the corner of his mouth then squeezed it. He swallowed his mouthful of water and didn't reply. 

His eyes didn't leave mine until he rounded the corner to the changing rooms.

I chose a treadmill far away from the one he had been using, hearing the sounds of a shower starting up.

---------