Chapter 9

JAX

What a dickhead. Fuck. I'm not doing this. Maybe I should just leave now - it's not like anyone had high expectations of me and my ability to commit to anything.

"No," said Denver. "No. No way. "

For once, I agreed with him.

Coach raised his eyebrows at Denver and he opened his mouth.

"I mean - Coach. No way, Coach. "

Wow, this was the most I've ever seen Denver stand up to a teacher.

"C'mon boys. This is your own doing. If you two weren't so focused on being bullheads with each other all the time, I might not have to do this. " Coach folded his arms.

"But, Coach - " Denver was stammering with anger. "What about Jones? Jones was my workout buddy - "

"Jones - is dead. " Coach looked gravely at us. "Just kidding. But Rio wanted to be his partner - which I guess is the same thing as being dead. "

I pushed my tongue into my cheek and looked away, also folding my arms. I couldn't believe it. However, I wasn't going to make a fool of myself like Denver. Our school had a stupid rule that you couldn't go the gym without a partner - for safety or whatever.

Coach stared Denver down. "You will do this. Or I will reconsider your position as Captain. After all, we need a Captain who is a team player above all else. "

Denver was speechless - in shock or rage I didn't know. I guess being Captain was important to him - probably got him all the girls. Huh. I didn't need to be a football Captain to do that -

" And you - " Coach turned to me. "Consider this . . . initiation."

With a wink at Denver - he sauntered off, hands behind his back. We stood beside each other in silence. Then Denver sighed. He walked forward and shoved open the doors to the gym - no one else was there considering how late it was.

"Are you coming or what - " I heard him say before the door slammed shut behind him.

"Charming," I murmured, pushing open the doors more calmly.

Denver was already changed - but I wasn't. I took my time, making him wait. After about ten minutes, he came around the doorway, his stance defensive.

"Are you finished doing your hair? Can we start, now? " he growled.

I grinned at him. "Maybe you should spend some more time doing your hair, Denver. "

He slapped the doorframe in irritation and left. I stood up and stretched, taking time to not show how nervous I was. I hate it. I hate myself - but I can't help but think about what happened the last time we were alone together.

I came around the doorframe. Denver was already warming up on a treadmill. I chose the one right beside him - despite having a whole role to choose from. I wondered if I imagined the side look he gives me. I start running beside him. My eyes trailed over to him - I told myself it was just because I was gauging his speed as I watched his calf muscles flex and relax. Then I realise he was watching me watch him through the reflection on the glass window. I gave him my biggest shit-eating grin in the reflection - pretending I was watching him on purpose to piss him off. His face darkened and he looked away. He was so easy to read - it's pathetic. The only sound in the room was our breathing. Surprisingly, I was kind of fit. Running was easier than I thought it would be, and I began to enjoy the feeling of pushing myself. I turned the speed up a few notches. And up a few more.

Denver was fit too - but he was beginning to get tired. I could hear it in his breathing, in his heavy step. I tried to hold my smile back - he was looking at me, surprised as well I guess. He turned his speed up. So did I. It was a silent competition, each of us going faster and faster until -