Prologue - The Questionable Mentality Of The Bad Boy

Start from the beginning

My best friend is going to freak when she finds out. I never skip. Ever. She likes to call me a goody-two-shoes, but I really just care about my grades, that's all. I would happily skip school if it weren't for my crippling fear of failure.

My eyes slowly adjust to the bright sun rays shining down on me as I walk towards the school parking lot. Slowly my anger seeps out from my body and I am left with pure disappointment, completely directed towards myself. I should have worked harder on that assignment.

As I look out over the parking lot, my eyes suddenly catch a figure laying in the middle of the road. Walking closer, I notice the movement of his hand in front of him, drawing a lit cigarette to his lips before he pulls it away, a puff of smoke escaping him shortly after.

He doesn't notice me as I start walking closer and I find myself glad. I know exactly who this man is. Reece Carter is his name, the so-called 'bad boy' of Northwood High School.

The ankle boots I'm wearing click quietly against the solid concrete road as I walk closer to him, my mind racing. He is supposed to be in class. Then again, so am I. But I have a reason. Sort of. Pushing my blonde hair back from my face, I direct myself towards the middle of the road where he is laying. Everyone else is in class at the moment, so it is only him and I out here. Although the thought should scare me, considering his reputation, it doesn't deter me in the slightest.

My curious eyes sweep over him as I approach, taking in his appearance. His ripped black jeans hug his legs snuggly and the grey t-shirt he wears has risen up slightly thanks to the arm he has positioned behind his head. The white headphones I always see him wearing around school are stuck in his ears as usual, the cord trailing down to his pocket where I assume his phone must be. His signature black leather jacket is discarded beside him, leaving his tattoo-covered arms on full display.

When I get within a few meters of him, his piercing turquoise eyes suddenly snap to me, causing me to inhale sharply because of the intensity. How have I never noticed how gorgeous his eyes are? I guess I have never looked. He takes a slow drag of his cigarette with his eyes still on me before he lets the smoke out in rings above him. His eyes soon switch back to the sky, his head resting back on his arm.

I stop a few feet in front of him, my own green eyes studying him carefully. The smell of smoke from his cigarette fills my lungs and I scrunch up my nose slightly. I hate when people smoke. A harsh sigh escapes his lips, traces of smoke escaping as he turns his head to look at me again. Scowling, he stubs out his now finished cigarette.

He takes one headphone out of his ear and turns his blue eyes on me expectantly, "Yes?"

I take in a deep breath before blurting, "Why are you lying in the middle of the road?" Wow, way to be subtle, Layla. I scold myself, regretting the frankness of my tone. But my curiosity is eating away at me and I can't help it. I stuff my hands inside the pockets of my jacket and tilt my head slightly as I await his answer.

"This is a school parking lot," He answers slowly, "no cars are gonna come in or out of here for another couple hours." Reece grabs his jacket once he is finished speaking, taking out a lighter and a box of cigarettes from the pocket. He picks a death stick out of the box before putting it to his lips, acting as if he has actually answered my question. Which he hasn't.

"That doesn't really explain why you chose to lay in the middle of the road." I pull my eyes away from his lips as I take a step closer. I watch him flick the lighter to bring up a flame before lighting the end of his cigarette. He puts the lighter back in his pocket.

His eyes finally meet mine once again and his sharp gaze examines me closely. "I felt like it." He minimally replies. We both fall silent for a moment before he speaks up again. "You're a curious one, aren't you?" It is more of a statement than a question. I can't exactly argue.