Chapter 13. Ciao, Ti Amo

Start from the beginning

I tip backwards into Laurie and he catches me gently, twisting me around to hug me to his chest. I'm crying before I can stop myself and he's rubbing my back, telling me 'she's alive' over and over into my hair.

When I think I can walk without tripping from the sheer force of my relief I start towards the stairs, Laurie's hand clasped into mine. Our feet fall down the steps in unison, and even though we have 'slept' together, there's something even more intimate about simply sleeping beside someone.

I feel closer to him, if possible.

"Lillian," Jo breathes, and she's the first person I see when we step into the foyer, rounding into the dining room.

Her eyes dart to Laurie and I's clasped hands, and the surprise that consumes her expression is fleeting before a tiny smile takes over her lips. I don't dare release his hand, even if she, truthfully, was the one I was most afraid of not receiving approval from.

I'm never going to push him away again.

"Beth," I gasp, my eyes moving to the figure sitting beside Jo. She's so ashen I didn't hardly notice her, and with so many sweaters on to hide the chill of a just-broken fever she could've been a pile of blankets and I would be none the wiser.

"Come here, love." She grins weakly, and holds her arms out for me.

I feel five years old when I barrel into my little sister's arms, clutching her against me tightly. I can't help the tears from coming from my eyes—they're happy tears, not sad.

"I love you," I whimper into her shoulder, and she hugs me tighter, finding strength in the both of us. When I finally pull away, I laugh shakily. "I hate that stupid fever." I tell her.

Beth laughs cheerily, and she's about to say something when the front door opens, and a rumpled looking Sawyer steps in. He and Beth lock eyes and he looks as if his legs are going to give out—he grasps the door-frame with one hand, his other hand flying to his chest like he's winded.

I know the feeling.

    I look at Laurie, and he's staring at me, his expression unreadable. He looks from Sawyer to me, and then smiles weakly. I feel his gaze all the way into my soul. 'I love you'. I think again.

I will him to think it back.

"Beth," Sawyer gasps, and she stands out of her chair, walking over to hug him. The embrace is shockingly intimate, and when I look over at Jo, she winks at me.

"Told you..." she sniffs, and then grins. Her eyes are puffy like she's been crying too, and she tugs her knees up to her chest in the chair after a beat. "Marmee is out front. Tom and Amy should be here any second."

"Alright," I sniff, wiping my eyes with my sleeve, and turn to Laurie. "Come upstairs with me?" I ask, not caring that Jo is sitting right there, and a shy grin consumes his face.

"Race you?" He teases, and Jo whistles lowly as I take off towards the stairs.

"THATS NOT VERY LADY-LIKE!" Jo yells, her voice stamped out by the loud clomping of my sock-covered feet while I sprint up the wooden steps.

    I've barely made it to the landing when I'm lifted, yelping with surprise, and then Laurie is tossing me over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes. He's picked me up several times in the last 24 hours, now that I'm thinking about it.

"LEMME—" Gasp. "—GO!" I screech, grasping onto his waist as he runs full speed into my room.

    I'm thanking the gods above Meg isn't here when he tosses me down, my body bouncing a foot in the air when it hits my bed. The impact doesn't hurt but I'm a bit winded and gasping for breath both from my sprint and being flung.