Chapter 28 - Abandonment Subroutines

James felt them watching him, eyes down every hallway. It didn’t help that the computer kept announcing how many cameras were trained on him and what systems Vander had put to use in tracking his movements throughout Omegaphil’s maze. Thanks, PC. Very helpful.

He stepped into his quarters past the hydraulic doors and fell face first on his bed.

In here, Vander only tracks your terminal usage and messaging.

Well at least I have some relative peace and privacy at home…if it weren’t for you in my head.

Yes. Vander seems to be unaware that I am helping you fly below the radar. That is a term you use, correct?

I wish you’d stop picking through my brain for nice tidbits to add to your conversational skills.

I’m still attempting to extricate myself, but have continued to be unsuc­cessful. I don’t intend to take your words or thoughts. They keep bleeding through.

I know. I’m sorry…and I’m apologizing to a computer yet again! Can you give me a few minutes to myself so I can get some rest?

Of course, James. Do you want me to wake you at a certain time?

No. I’m sure Mike or Angie will come looking for me shortly. They’re al­most as involved in my life as you are at the moment.

They just worry...as do I.

I know. Let me rest, okay?

The silence that followed felt precious. James flipped himself over and slid farther onto the bed. His head pounded with the constant flow of information, just out of reach of his conscious mind. It poured through him like a roaring river. He hadn’t slept in two days as worry ate away at his insides and the maddening sensation of being a processor for a super computer stole his sanity. But the exhaustion now dulled his fears and throbbing skull. He slept and dreamt of dragons.

***

A dozen of the monstrous lizards huddled in a cavern filled with their pungent smoky scent. A slight sweetness under­cut the smell, making it bearable and almost pleasant, like his grandfather’s pipe smoke. One of the dragons turned, red and gold irises falling on James, cutting through him.

James held those eyes, but they were already slipping past him, moving on. “No. Look at me.” The dragon ignored him and turned back to the others as they seemed to be conversing in deep growling tones. James stepped into the middle of the group, dodging massive scaled legs and crystalline wings. He jumped up and down in front of them, yelling. “Please. Tell me what to do. Everything’s gone crazy. I need your help!”

Part of James knew it didn’t make sense, but he felt certain they could help him with the computer in his head, Omegaphil, Angie, and everything else. Dreams don’t have to make sense.

The dragons came to a decision. They broke their circle and moved away toward a group of people James hadn’t seen standing in the shadows of the great cavern.

“Wait!” James cried out to them. “I need to know what to do.” He reached out to them, grabbing hold of the giant tail of the one who had looked at him when he’d arrived. “I have to go with you.” James pulled with all his might.

***

The computer watched the dream with some interest. Fascinat­ing. They came from somewhere deep within the human mind, full of symbols and energy. She knew James’ dreams had been altered by his contact with her and by the nanites in his head, but she hoped they were still somewhat close to what other humans saw as they slept. This would most likely be her only opportunity to experience anything like them.