Chapter 21 - Tethered

Kaden read and reread the note that had been gouged into the top of the desk. The twin moons gave him plenty of light to read by. “Nott sayfe. Nott followe.” He scribbled his own quick note next to this one with a magic marker he found on the ground.

He ran a finger over where a chunk of the desk had been sheared off, the cut clean. Evandrel had assured him that the Dwaro took it with him along with Aren and both would be relatively safe. Kaden had to admit that plastic would be interesting in a world without it.

The clothes Evandrel provided fit perfectly. They sat light and warm on his skin in the crisp evening. Kaden didn’t mind the mossy color either. A lot of his clothes back home fell into the earth tone cat­egory. Kaden didn’t know where Evandrel found the shirt and trousers.

The green haired man had darted into the forest and returned about half an hour later with the bundle. The tall man hadn’t in­itially provided shoes. He’d looked at Kaden like he’d asked for horns to wear in case of rain. Evandrel and his people apparently don’t wear shoes.

After some arguing about limiting his access to the spirit of Ealdar, the Sidra relented, returned to the forest once more, and returned with boots that molded to Kaden’s feet and were much more comfortable than the tree bark that they appeared to be. He could still feel through the thin, supple sole, but they blocked the chill and the bites of sharp twigs and stones.

Evandrel stood at the edge of the clearing as Kaden finished his note. The being surprised him at times. So patient and so quick to anger. Just my luck to find a mentally unstable tour guide.

Kaden knew he didn’t have any other option though. Evandrel had made that clear. Kaden couldn’t keep flitting back and forth between Earth and this clearing while Aren got farther and farther away. Kaden glanced over at his guide who stood without moving, green hair whipping in the wind and eyes far away.

He doesn’t seem to like humans much, but he also seems sincere about learning my secret. Unbalanced though. That makes him one dangerous elf. Kaden laughed to him­self. That’s what he reminds me of. Kaden didn’t trust the elf creature, but he felt compelled to follow him, certain Evandrel would keep his word, despite his deep hatred for humans. The man’s honest. I’ll give him that. Not sure if I should call him a man. He might not like that label anyway.

Kaden punched what was left of the desktop and looked at the tunnel where Aren had gone one last time, a dark hole in the moonlit ground. “I’ll be back, Aren. I’m so sorry to leave, but I’ll be back.”

Kaden turned away from the desk and the tunnel. It felt wrong to abandon her again, but his death at the hand of Dwaros would help no one. He didn’t know enough about his wormholes either.

I’ve never stayed this long. Is my tether permanent? For all I know it could just disappear, trapping us here forever. He shook the scary thought from him and walked to where Evandrel stood.

“I’m ready, Evan. Can I call you Evan?”

“No.”

“Okay, Evan, let’s go then. Is your village far?”

The elf growled under his breath as he pushed his way through the underbrush. It parted easily enough for him as he muttered softly to himself. Kaden struggled through each bramble and thorn, the forest intent on slowing him down.

“We are at least three days run from my city, probably longer the way humans move. This would be much easier if we could just travel the way you came. I already know you can take passengers with you.”

Kaden stood knee deep in a bush he was sure was poisonous. The leaves glinted glossy black in the moonlight and it smelled oily and bitter as his boots crushed branches of it underfoot. “Sorry, Evan. Not the way it works. That was the first time I’d taken anyone along for the ride, and I’m not sure how I did it. I also came from very far away, not down the street. I’m not able to jump from place to place once I arrive. Too bad really, that would be neat.”