He fiddles with a silver ring on his pinky and I smile. At least something has stayed the same. 

"After I graduated, I went back to rehab over the summer to... get everything under control." He winces at the reminder of the painful time. "I got accepted to a college a few hours away from here and never came back. My family understood that I needed space, and the boys mostly got it, but I can tell that they're happy I'm back."

A faint smile curves his lips as he glances out the window to the afternoon traffic clogging up the familiar streets.

"I'm happy I'm back," he says. "I've missed this place."

"How long are you staying?" I ask, hating the way my chest constricts at the thought of Luke leaving again. He has one more year left of school before he's moving back, if he ever moves back at all. It's foolish to hope that he stays.

"Just for the summer," he replies, his ocean eyes locking on mine.

Something flickers in his gaze as he reaches out a hand to me, his fingers resting over mine. I don't pull away.

"I didn't just come back to see my family and the boys," he murmurs. "I wanted to see you. I want to fix things between us, Emmy."

I swallow hard, but say nothing, letting him continue.

"I'm still in love with you," he says, gripping my hand tighter to make me understand. "If there's still a part of you that loves me, give me a second chance to make this right. Just you and me. No bets."

When I hesitate, he adds, "I haven't been with any other girl since you. I'm not messing around anymore. It took me three years to fit together the pieces of my life, but I did it. And now I'm here for the last piece."

I squeeze his hand in mine. "Okay," I whisper, my voice hoarse. "I'll give you a second chance."

He beams. I can't remember the last time I saw him so happy. 

"I won't screw this one up," he promises.

I allow a smile. "I hope not. Because you're not getting any more, Hemmings."

He just grins. "I don't need any more."

We talk for hours, every little thing that has happened since we split ways three years ago pouring out. I show him the videos and pictures from my graduation and senior prom, where Calum graciously agreed to be my date so I didn't have to go alone. He tells me about college, how he's majoring in English like he always wanted to do, and minoring in music.

It's like we only spent three weeks apart rather than three years. It's effortless to fall back into our old rhythm, laughing and talking just like old times. I hadn't realized until now just how much I missed Luke. Before he was my boyfriend, he was my friend.

I glance down at my phone in surprise. "I hadn't realized how late it's gotten," I say, gathering my stuff. "You're coming to Natalie and Michael's place tonight, right?"

He stands up, sliding his jacket back on. "Yeah. I haven't seen them face to face in nearly three years."

"Do you want a ride?" he asks nervously as we step out onto the sidewalk.

"Sure," I say, blushing a little. "One thing that hasn't changed in three years is that I still don't have a car. But I did get my driver's license when I graduated."

He smiles, leading me to the familiar black car parked on the curb.

"You cleaned it," I say in surprise as I shut my door behind me.

"Yep," he says as he slides his key into the ignition. "You will also notice that it no longer contains drugs," he jokes as he pulls onto the main road.