Chapter the First: Express

Start from the beginning

"Hey Y/n," Ron said. "Found anywhere yet?"

"No," she replied. "Everywhere's full."

"Come sit with us, then," Ron offered. "There's room for one more."

She came in and sat down in the seat next to Ron, across from the boy. "Who are you?" she asked. "Er- I mean, not to be rude or anything. I saw you were following us, and I was curious."

"That's alright," he said. "I'm... I'm Harry Potter."

Y/n's eyes widened and she looked at Ron, who nodded in confirmation to her unasked question.

"Wow, you're Harry Potter? What's it like in the Muggle world?"

He hesitated and Y/n realized she was probably asking too many questions. "Sorry. You don't have to answer that."

"Well..." he said. "It's alright, I guess. I mean, the Dursleys aren't that great, but if I can get away from them it isn't too bad."

"Who're the Dursleys?"

"They're my family- er, the muggle family I was sent to live with since, you know..."

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you."

"No, it's alright. I never really knew them anyway."

The compartment door slid open. A round-faced boy stood there. "Have any of you seen a toad? His name's Trevor and I lost him."

Ron and Harry shook their heads.

"You know, I might have seen him somewhere," Y/n said, vaguely remembering a toad hopping around on the platform. "I'll help you look for him."

"Really?" the boy asked, his face brightening. "Thanks!"

"My pleasure," she said as she got up. She exited and closed the compartment door again. "What's your name?"

"Neville."

"I'm Y/n."

"Thanks for offering to help, Y/n," Neville said gratefully. She nodded.

"So," she began, her detective instincts kicking in. "When was the last time you saw Trevor?"

"Back at the station," Neville replied. His face paled. "Oh no," he said. "I must have left him there!" His breathing started becoming unsteady.

"Shh, it's okay, Neville, let's not jump to any conclusions," she comforted him.

"But you're right, the last time I saw him was at the station, I've left him, I'm never going to see Trevor again!" Tears began to well in his eyes.

"No, no," Y/n said again. "I have a feeling I might have seen him hopping around in one of the compartments. Let's go look."

He wiped at his nose. "All right."

Thus the search for the toad commenced. Y/n narrated their every move in her head, seeing everything in black and white, having no idea where all this was coming from. Mysterious jazz music began to play in her head, featuring an upright bass.

We begin to walk down the corridor, no idea where the toad might be. There may be other, more efficient ideas to get us started, but we have no time. The toad must be found immediately.

I open the first compartment door. "Hello," I say, looking around at the people in the compartment. "Have any of you, by chance, seen a toad? We seem to be missing one."

"What are you doing?" Neville asked. "Now you're acting all weird."

Y/n cast a glance toward him. "I'm trying to help you find a toad. I don't know exactly what's going on either. It's like I'm in one of those Muggle mystery movies."